Hello all.
To give you some background of my problem; When I was young my dentist told me I had a baby tooth that wouldn't come out because there was no adult tooth coming in... Ever. So, he said I could get it pulled or leave it and it would rot out... Not wanting to have a gap, I left it in.
I'm 21 now, and 3 or 4 weeks ago my gums around that tooth swelled up. This was causing me a decent amount of pain.

After about a week, the pain subsided. It wasn't until a couple days after that where I noticed that the gums were still swelled on the outside quite a bit.
And a week ago I noticed there was a white spot on the lump. I popped it and puss came out and the lump shrank considerably. I thought I was out of the woods, but it swelled back up (however, not nearly as much) and the white spot returned. This has happened one more time since (yesterday). I have been brushing after meals and using the ol' warm salt water technique. 

I've popped the puss bubble 3 times now, and the gums around the tooth have been sensitive since the initial swelling.

Just a hunch, I'm guessing this has to do with the baby tooth... and I'm guessing I have to get it pulled.
HOWEVER, I live 6 hours away from of my hometown and  I won't have access to my dentist until May 20th(ish).

I was wondering how long until this gets worse (if it will) and what I can do to prolong this... if possible.

So what I'm really wondering is if I will be able to wait a month to get this looked after...

Also, I have been told by a few people that this requires a root canal. Do you need to get a root canal if you're just getting the tooth pulled? It is a baby tooth after all.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.