I'm 17, uncircumcised, and when I am erect I am about 4-4.5 inches in length. Presumably (hopefully) I am still growing. I can pull the foreskin back when erect without any pain, but when I leave it it bunches up just behind the corona and looks unnatural, if you know what I mean. My question is that for sex should I retract it before penetration, and same for condoms? Also is that size embarrassingly small? Thanks!

Hi Guest,

To answer your questions: Firstly, nope, that's about average. I wouldn't be too worried about the size.

It sounds like you have a slightly longer foreskin, and therefore it will appear to 'bunch up' as you describe.  Its completely normal.  Whether you should retract or not before sex is completely up to you and what feels best.

Thanks! :) What about condoms though, i have read before that you should retract the foreskin, put the condom half on and then pull it over the head, and elsewhere I have read that you should just leave it retracted. It seems strange getting advice off a stranger from the internet, but which option is better or does it not matter?

Hi Guest

There are no set rules about retracting/not retracting when using a condom --- Just be careful of any slippage whatever decision you make.

It sounds as though your frenulum is too short and is restricting the rearward travel of your foreskin. Does the head of your penis bend down when you pull your foreskin back? If it does, you probably have a short frenulum which is called "frenulum breve." If our frenulum is too short, then it can be stretched.

The gliding action of the foreskin is an aid to penetration. It is not necessary to retract before penetration as the foreskin will retract as you penetrate and that will make penetration easier. That is one of the advantages of having a foreskin.