I had gall bladder removed 9 days ago. I thought I was recovering very well until yesterday!! Had SEVERE pain on right side around lower rib area. Couldn't stand the pain....went to ER. I had it removed due to low function, no stones. The ER ran an ultrasound test to look for excess bile build up and duct blockage and test came back normal. All blood tests....liver and pancreas function were also normal. Told me to take pain meds and rest. I feel after 9 days I should be getting not worse. Ibuprofin seems to help it but I don't want to live on the stuff. Anyone else experience this horrific pain?????? Will it go away???? I did not have pain before with gall bladder attacks...just got very sick. I almost wish I wouldn't have had the surgery at this point!!!!!!!!

Be really careful with that Ibuprofen! Was the pain a burning? If so.....don't forget that the bile is dumping right into your intestine from the liver and will irritate the area around it; especially right after surgery. It takes a lot longer to heal in the inside than it does on the outside!

Be REALLY careful what you are eating. Take it easy on your liver and eat foods that don't irritate or make you produce to much bile. Be very gentle on your stomach for a while......be careful you don't develop the "dumping syndrome."

i had this exact problelm, my surgery was a week ago, my Dr said imflamation and to wait a week before coming in to have xrays done. He thinks it will go away on its own. This is very painfull when I breath. I don't regret having the surgery done. i feel better already just hurting when i take deep breaths.

Yesterday was a month since I had my gallbladder out. My procedure was a lot longer than most, because there were difficulties. I had been trying to tell my family Dr for years that something was wrong, and the pain got unbearable just under my ribs. Test after test...I was normal. Must be gas. It took me from 2006 to 2013 before I could get anyone to listen. A trip to the ER, constantly throwing up bile, moderate pain between my ribs and a fever got me a sonogram and a CT scan. 2 days later, out came my gallbladder. The surgery usually takes about an hour, but mine was so bad it took just over 3 hours. My small intestine had grown to my gallbladder, and intestinal fat had grown around it. After finally removing all of the fat and my small intestine (tons of blood vessels were attaching them), my gallbladder had been bright red on the outside, but nearly black on the inside. I was full of gallstones and sludge. The stones were enormous, and they were surprised I want in more pain. Because of the sludge, they inserted a drainage tube (EXTREMELY PAINFUL TO BREATHE) and this allowed the old blood and infection to drain out.
After two and a half weeks,I could breathe without the severe pain in my right side, just under my ribs. Two days ago (nearly a month post op) the pain came back full force. I called the Dr, and they said I just pulled a muscle. It's too late after the surgery for it to be related. FRUSTRATING! I don't want to have to be rude, or just put my foot down with a Dr! I shouldn't have to! How else do I get them to listen to me??

Do you still have this pain? I have it after 5 weeks. Please let me know if anything helped you. Thank