This post is an extension of the
Cramping pain in right side after gallbladder removal thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I posted here about 2 months ago. My surgery was a year ago last July & just about the year anniv. I started to get the same pains, under right ribs just as I had with the surgery.

Since then, I've done a ton of reading & researching & found that the liver can be stressed & the bile production can be too little or too much after GB surgery.

I started taking a liver cleanse tablet 3 times a day & the pain has gone away for the most part. I find mine comes when I'm upset, or with certain things I eat, but before the liver cleanse tablets, it was constant.

I also take pepcid 2 to 3 times a day & that seems to help. Hope this helps anyone else still experiencing the right side rib pain.

I am reading this at 2:30 in the morning while going thru one of the worst nights of pain that I've had since this started. I suspected gall stones when I had my first attack about 2 months ago, and this is my 5th attack in that time.

I was pretty set on getting it taken out, but now after reading all these posts, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't want to deal with the pain and inconvenience of these attacks anymore. My father and my sister have had their gb's taken out and have done fine with the surgery.

Any thoughts?

I had my gallbladder out in June 2005 at the age of 17. My attacks started very quickly and within a month they had me in for surgery. The surgery itself ended up having several complications. I needed to have part of my liver removed due to the fact that the gall bladder had fused itself to it, then when I was in recovery I had an adverse reaction to the anaesthesia, and my oxygen levels refused to come up. It was an ordeal and a half, but I was allowed home by the end of the day.

Over the next few days I experienced much pain and discomfort and I was basically unable to eat anything, but slowly over the course of the summer it got better.

While I am mostly healed today, I still have bouts of severe cramping that involves hot and cold sweats, extreme pain, and then diarrhoea for several hours. Although it only seems to happen when I do not eat for a prolonged period of time or if I eat something that does not agree with me.

I had laproscopic GB surgery 10 days ago and also have pain in my right side, I am also consistently dizzy, nauseated and weak. I have lost 15 pounds. What I would like to know is this ever going to get any better? I read of people returning to work after 3 days from surgery. How long does it take the body to heal?

I had my gallbladder removed a week ago. Although the constant pain under my rib has been relieved, I can not lay on my right side without a sharp stabbing pain and cramping. Everyone tells me I should be able to eat normally but I find the pain returns in a half hour after a meal.

I had my gallbladder removed in October of 07...the pain went away until about November of 08. It has been chronic since then I saw my gi for a yearly check up due to celiac disease and I told him about the pain. He sent me for a HIDA scan with COD (I think that was what it was). He said that because the scan cause the same kind of pain that it is most likely my bile duct and he wants to go in and "open" it. I am really nervous about the surgery because it may cause pancreatitis. But I need to get rid of this pain. It is killing me. He prescribed some kind of blood pressure medicine that opens up your arteries that is supposed to help open the duct while I decide if I want to get the surgery. But the thing is I have low blood pressure to begin with so the medication lowers my blood pressure so much that I get extremely dizzy and cannot even walk. I also have chronic diarrhea and nausea. I eat a gluten free diet most of what I eat is organic and pretty fat free. Nothing takes the pain away not even narcotics I just get all stoned and talk silly. Even dilated does not take the pain away. I am so depressed about it and it is wrecking my life.. Has anyone had this surgery to "open up the bile duct'? :-( :-( :-(

I had my surgery 23/02/09. I feel like i still can't eat, when i do eat i feel sick, there is still a pain down my right side (understandable as i've only been home a week).I've cut my fats down, don't drink fizzy juice and still feel rotten. Oh and the diarrhea is awful too especially first thing in the morning.

It's been over a year since I had my gallbladder removed and still have the same symptoms as before it was removed. I could not eat because I feared I would have to go to the bathroom immediately. Finally, my doctor gave me Welchol, which is used to treat high cholesterol but also absorbs bile. I can honestly say this has saved my life because I can now eat without fear. I do still have the pain in my right side and am going through all of the same tests but at least this might help people with the other issue. Good luck.

Hi Everyone -- I echo all of your concerns, same lapro. surgery, same RUQ pain, plus naval pain and sometimes pain in LUQ. I also get short of breath and quite awful dizzy spells with my flare-ups. Had surgery in Oct. 2007 and had severe RUQ pain after surgery. Thought is was from the incisions. Now I have all the pain plus intense pressure in center of abdomen with problems above. I also get absolutely horrible nerve+muscle pain, joint popping, and pins+needles/jabbing pain all over my body at times, which can last for days at a time. A food will sometimes work for me one day then not the next. I have seen all types of doctors multiple times and nothing is ever found. Went to Johns Hopkins and was mocked by the dr. I saw there -- very upset and amazed at the lack of professionalism of the otherwise stellar institution.

Now I'm seeing a chiropractor who practices applied kinesology. He thinks that multiple systems are involved and notes that the hypothalamus regulates a lot of the areas with which I have problems. I also have all types of visual disturbances that come on with my flare-ups. The chiro. doc. thinks that I am having bouts of low blood sugar too and has put me on a low sugar diet to see what happens. It has helped at first but it is only so-so. For the most part, the light-bright yellow stools have ceased and he thinks my body is confused by sugar and is treating it as a poison.

The chiro. doc. also notes that a few things can impact a person's body to the extent things become mixed up in terms of how the body is supposed to operate. For example, anesthesia can confound the body and the body may need to be reprogrammed after surgery to restore or align the body's electrical fields or meridians. I know this sounds bizarre, but I have tried every other remedy and at least this fellow is starting to make sense -- especially after noting some interesting things on my lab work (I sent him nearly 100 pages) that other doctors dismissed and noted that some tests were useless due to the time of day they were run -- sugar and cortisol. Also, he found that my system is too basic (elevated ph) rather than too acidic. In this respect, drinking the juice of a lemon throughout the day (put into water to dilute) sometimes seems to help and I was also told that a person should have the juice of a lemon in a glass of temperate water first thing in the morning to balance the body and flush the liver. I do think this may help.

I have had the non-invasive mrcp/ercp and it showed nothing as well as cat scans and mri's. So, per findings of the chiro. doc. and lab work, it seems that I may be experiencing bouts of hypoglycemia as well as maybe an overloaded liver and pancreatitis. It is possible that other problems are present too. That is, I am intrigued by the post that discusses how the poster's intestines were closing off because this seems to be the case with me as I hear all sorts of idiosyncratic noises coming from my right side now and most sound like water being forced through a narrowing. This might be worth considering for everyone who hears the same noises, also sounds like water rushing through a brook or a pebble being tossed into a pond at times.

When having a bad attack, I find that laying down flat or in a recliner tends to allow things to pass in the RUQ and I am usually okay, but the chiro. doc. also notes that both the stomach to small intestine and small intestine to large intestine valves are not working correctly. This could be a source of problems for many here; which could also be due to adhesions.

While I did not have stones or apparent sludge, my gallbladder was chronically inflamed. While I thought this was due to infection or the like, I do wonder whether my diet played an important role. I used to eat sweets and fatty foods all day long--no kidding. I am a male with an extremely high metabolism, however, my body may have been overworked. Also, I've had acid reflux my entire life and was on Prevacid for about 5 years. Now I question whether it negatively affected my pancreas and liver. I initially lost about 22 pounds after the surgery but have gained about 7 pounds back thankfully, yet I am very transformed in my appearance.

At one point I thought I had lyme's disease through all of this and even had my tonsils removed thinking they might be a source of infection. However, having the tonsils out made no difference, although I felt pretty good during recovery eating baby food and simple foods. Then it all came back after I started eating normally -- within reason -- again. I have had many bouts of strep throat in recent years and question whether that may have influenced my system and might still be a problem. Regardless, I eat no gluten/wheat products and that seems to help some. I am on a sugar-restricted diet and the ruling is still to come one that. I can eat cottage cheese and aged cheeses (no lactose in either) but other dairy gives me fits, even with lactose-eating pills.

Tried a variant of Colestid but couldn't take it for long as I went through a vicious period of not tolerating any meds at all last year, I got horrible nerve pain, muscle spasms, and jabbing all over my body during this time. Found out I cannot take many of the pain meds but was given morphine after having tonsils out (it's an awful surgery as an adult) and was able to tolerate it rather well.

So, after reading this board and others like it, I've quickly compiled some things worth considering -- at least I am going to look into and things I've tried:

.Welchol, Colestid -- bile binders

.Questran -- for loose stools (not really a prob. for me any longer -- esp. after not eating sugar, which uses a lot of acid to process)

.Avoid: caffeine, coffee, chocolate, eggs, dairy, greasy foods

.Do: eat lots of green veggies, protein as tolerated, try adding flax oil, coconut oil, and olive oil to your diet for good fat, eat cashews and brazil nuts for good protein and fat and almonds if tolerated (almonds are tougher to break up and I can't eat them alone like I can the other nuts) -- but nuts are pretty fatty overall so this variable is a concern by default

.Carbs: The only carbs I eat are brown rice. I recently was told to dry-fry long grain rice (trying regular brown rice too and it tastes great, like popped corn) as it helps the body process it better, more slowly

.Pancreatitis and Liver Overload

.Sphincter of Oddi

.Intestines closing -- this seems to be my problem at times, and may be a result of too much bile hitting them alone, which would account for my ph being too basic. Remember, bile is used to alkalize the acid produced in the stomach -- it is not acidic.

.Be careful with multivitamins -- I just found that something in my mens health 1 a day is upsetting my insides. I don't know what it is yet, but hope to find out soon.

.I need to take vitamin D supplements as my D levels were quite low

Good luck to all!

Hi, I had my Gall bladder removed a week ago now. I'm still in a fair amount of pain, but I know mostly that is my own fault for not resting enough, and slowly the brusing is going down, but I do get a lot of stabbing pain in my right side when I walk about, I am thinking this is still muscle related where they have been aggitated, and obvs where the Gall Bladder was removed too. So I am keeping an eye on that.
I only just found this site, and so glad I didnt read it before the operation! really some bad stories on here, an it's scared me a little bit for the future.
I noticed that some people are saying they still get what is being called 'phantom pains' My doctor warned me this could happen after, that the its the liver that produces the stones, and it is possible that after the gall bladder is removed, that stones may be left in the liver where they have not traveled through yet. But he also said eating a healthy diet low fat etc would help with this.
I am pretty much sticking too a vegan diet, no dairy, no wheat flour, or glutton and only allowing myself chicken and fish. which seems to be doing fine with my stomach so far as ive had no dioreah or pain from eating. (touch wood) and i stay away from acidy food like oranges and grapes as this can agrivate it too, and cause heart burn.

Obs so soon after the surgery I cant say as i feel any different. I just hope that I do as life before it was pretty hideous.
I'm just really glad i had good doctors and a surgeon who warned me and prepared me properly. It is a major surgery, and if youre arent warned of the after effects, i can imagine that it can be rather scary, and frustrating, I just hope that you all find some way of calming your pains and getting back to a normal life.

Hello, Im noelleesmith [username]....started having pain one day after walking when I was around 37 weeks pregnant. I thought I was having a heart attack and was in pain for about 30 mins. After that night, I dont remember experiences anymore pain until my baby was around 3 months old. I started having small attacks of pain either late at night or in the middle of the night. I didnt have them that often but after a few of them they started getting alot worse. I woke up with one so bad that I called my husband and told him to come immediately that there was something seriously wrong with me. Chest was heavy, I was throwing up over and over so I was dry heaving in a bad. Couldnt stand up straight. Had to walk and sit bent over. E.R. tried telling me that I had alcohol poisioning and kept trying to get me to admit that I had been out drinking because they said my symptoms are the same as alcohol poisioning...after convincing them I woke up like this they sent me for a CT scan and X rays. Of course those showed nothing. They also made me drink this disgusting "G-I cocktail drink" that was green. They said if it killed the pain then it was my g i track that was messed up. Of course I couldnt drink alot because it was gagging me but I remember the pain didnt go away! Now I was just dealing with my throat being numb which was annoying...Another doctor came in after shift change, gave me strong pain meds through my IV and sent me for an ultrasound. I felt fine until the tech started gliding that scanner over my right side. It didnt actually hurt but it made me extremely nauseated. I ended up having to take her trash can with me back to my e.r. room if that tells you anything about how much I was puking! Found out my gall bladder was full of stones. Had few attacks and nothing as bad as that one. Had the laproscopic removal the following month even though I shouldnt of because I was in the bathroom puking continually and that could of killed me when I was under if I started to puke and aspirated...But anyway, other than the normal rough recovery I was feeling great for awhile. That was all bad in Sept 2008...since then it has been getting worse. I didnt have the option of keeping my gall bladder because my doctor said hes never seen a worse case. It was bulding and when he cut it open the stones were packed in there tightly. I have pics, it looks like scrambled eggs. The problem alot of you arent aware of is the reason they advise for it to be removed is because if one of those stones are too big and on its way out it gets lodged somewhere, it can kill you pretty quickly. To shorten this story thats already too long, I deal with alot of problems now that I didnt have until a couple months ago. I can actually feel my food traveling through my intestines from time to time which is freaky, my chest will get heavy and it becomes hard to breath like something is stuck! I have alot of pain at night between my shoulder blades which btw, before it was removed the pain was between my shoulder blades and right side under rib cage... I do not normally hurt under my rib cage now but it has occured. My main problem is the diarrhea and SEVERE cramps after I eat. Id rather me in labor again than deal with these cramps. They are low in my pelvic area but disappear as soon as I am done using the bathroom...if I dont use the bathroom quick enough I start puking so I end up puking and sitting on the toilet at the same time. I have also been experiencing alot of pain my lower right back and right side. I get light headed and once in awhile it gives me brief heart palpitations. I get scared sometimes as well. I have found that the longer I go without eating tends to make me the sickest, when I finally do eat. There is a small round blue pill I was prescribed that took the pain out of the cramps thats caused when I need to use the bathroom for anyone who needs help for that...but other than that I havent recieved any answers. I recently had blood work done and an ultrasound today. They checked my liver, right kidney and everything in between. I will meet with the surgeon again on april 2nd to find out what the results say. I havent lost any weight, I actually have gained weight even though I have the diarrhea. Hope I covered everything. It doesnt appear that the symptoms will ever completely go away. I have researched alot on gall bladder disease. Since our gall bladders were removed there isnt anything there to store the bile that helps digest our food so now it is free flowing and it irritates our intestines which is where the diarrhea comes from. The gall bladder was the brain for the release of liver bile and now it just releases in large amount as well as a continuous trickle...Never thought at the age of 21 Id go through surgery like that and I never thought at the age of 22-23 Id have to deal with sitting on a public toilet then jumping up to puke. Its so much for me to handle but what other choice is there. Its gonna take a doctor that has a very bad case of post gall bladder removal issues to understand our issues, believe them and find a way to help make it a lil bit more comfortable.

I have had a lot of these same problems. And even though i'm sorry to hear that others have been going through the same hell, i am glad to find others with the same problem. I don't feel so alone now.

I had my gall bladder removed in Nov of 05, two months later started having the same problems again. Fought with my dr for over a year about doing something to fix it. She wanted to send me to pain management, which i ignorantly thought was a dr telling me how to deal with this pain for the rest of my life. I wish now i would have gone back then.

She finally sent me to a Gastro dr who ran some blood tests and found my pancreatic enzyme levels were elevated and sent me to have an ERCP. When he got in there my biliary duct were scarred shut at the pancreas and in an attempt to reopen it, he cut into my pancreas giving me pancreatitus

I had a total of 5 ERCP's. Each time i had one, i became sicker and sicker. I dropped 90 lbs and was lethargic. I could barely keep down water, jello and crackers.

The pain continued and i lost my insurance. My family got together and sent me to a diagnostic facility called Sansum Clinic in Calif. After running Cat scans, urine and fecal and blood tests, vaginal ultrasound, and even a mammogram, they concluded i was psycho sematic. In other words since they can't find out what's wrong, it must just be the patient is crazy.
They treated me with paxil. I tried it for two months and since i still had pain i decided there must be something else.

I went to a nutritionist since i felt diet might be the answer, So far changing my diet has helped the most. No processed foods, only whole foods, low fat (under 5 grams per meal) I eat 5 times a day and eat small meals. Actually i graze most all day, munching on grapes or carrots, broccoli, edamame, etc.

I got insurance again and went to a new dr. That dr sent me to a pain management dr. The pain management dr did a procedure on me where he injected steroid in a nerve in my back. This blocked the nerve from receiving any pain signals from my upper right abdomen. After we tried this 5 or 6 times i wanted to do something more permanent as they only lasted between two weeks and a month. So we tried radio frequency lesioning on the 11th intercostal nerve and this seems to be working wonderfully!! I just had this procedure done a week ago.

I believe most of this pain i am having now is due to nerve damage by the laproscopic removal of my gall bladder. I have pains wherever i have the scars and deep into my body, from where they inserted the objects. My middle where my ribs split i have a seizing spasmodic pain that leaves me feeling like someone punched me in the guts and knocked my wind out. My upper right side, i have a stabbing, burning, cramping pain that radiates to the back. My lower right side, same pain and then cramping irritable pain near my belly button scar.

As far as the drugs go. I've been on hydrocodone for 5 years of trying to fix this. That is alot of tylenol which is bad for your liver. I feel this whole thing started with my liver producing sludgy toxic bile and wanted to get off the tylenol. He also had me on topamax, an anti seizure medicine as well as klonopin to relax me and relieve my anxiety and depression of being in pain all the time. I also tried buscopan and cholestryamine, which both seem to work with the burning pain and the diarrhea.

I did some research and i know methadone has a really bad rap for being used to get drug addicts off of drugs, but it was mainly marketed as a pain reliever. It is like morphine without the harsh side effects and less addictive qualities. It also doesn't have any tylenol in it, which of course was a huge hit for me.

Unfortunately, i haven't been doing very well on the methadone. It has made me incredibly sick for about two weeks now and so i'm weaning myself off and hopefully this will be the end of this painful 5 year journey.

I have discovered, no one is going to care about my health as much as me and that i have to be my most powerful advocate.

I had a gallbladder attack at 10 weeks of my first pregnancy. I had to remain on a fat free diet until the baby was born, Then I had my gall bladder out laproscopically. That was 5 years ago. I still have a dull pain where the gall bladder was. But, if I bend down, I get a severe cramping on my right side under my rib cage that feels so painful and tight. I have to straighten up right away and massage myself. I went back to the surgeon about 6 months after surgery who told me if my liver counts were normal then I probably had scar tissue, phantom pains, or muscle crams from lifting the baby and to just live with it! She never even examined me or sent me for any imaging. I did some research and found out that you can still have a stone in your bile duct even after your gall-bladder has been removed! I thought maybe the surgeon clipped something by accident inside or that my surgical clip was stuck on something. I also have that urgent diarrhea and am always running to the bathrooms at department stores and the like. I went to see a different gastroenterologist who took some stool samples and a colonoscopy and found nothing. Today I went for an ultra-sound and guess what??? They found something! He could not tell if it was inside or outside of my bile duct, but there was definately a solid object there. I'm waiting for the Dr's report tomorrow. I think I have to go for further imaging to find out what and where exactly this is. Will keep you posted. My best advice is to keep trying different Dr's and different tests and don't give up. Not every test reveals everything. Also I find that drinking Almond Milk (Blue Diamond brand unsweetened) helps and not to let your stomach get empty - keep snacking. Also get lots of sleep. I don't believe the diarrhea is related to what you eat. I was vegan for 4 months, no cheese or dairy etc. Now I eat very healthy, no red meat and still get it if I eat a big meal on an empty stomach. But of course I had to fast for the sonogram! Thanks for listening and if you have any other advice email me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
Don't give up! Be persistent!

I recently had my GB removed and during the recovery room experienced severe abdominal pain, I couldn't sit or lay down for several hrs and then could only rest in the recliner. The next two days were miserable with nausea and vomiting unable to eat or drink much. The surgeon encouraged me to continue with the post op pain meds of oxycodone. I was then readmitted to hospital and all tests were neg. they had switched to IV pain meds I was discharged 3 days later on the oxycodone orally again only to have the pain to return with a vengence along with difficulty breathing profuse sweating and severe anxiety....A very uncommon adverse reaction to oxycodone that responded well to benydrel. Sometimes the meds to reduce post op pain may cause more of a problem. Thought I would share since my doctors didn't figure this out I did.