I’ve had low back pain during, I think, last ten years. I thought that it was normal, caused by bad posture and lack of physical activity. I treat it with pain killers and rarely massages. Recently, my friend suggested me to visit physiatrist because pain got a bit more intensive. I was diagnosed sacroiliac joint dysfunction and it is cause of my low back pain. It is not that uncommon disease, but I feel pretty different now when my common back pain has that serious origin.

I suffer sacroiliac joint dysfunction either. It is more common to occur in women, because female pelvic area has different anatomy then male. My doctor told me that my pelvic area permanently changed during childbearing, and stretching during delivery caused changes in SI joint. I suffer more severe pain that usually starts in lumbal region and travels even to foot area, all through the leg. I got instructions for exercises that should do at home and also the other type of physical therapy that I have in hospital. Surgery is another option, but I would like to avoid it, so I learnt to live with SI dysfunction.