I am 50 with normal size breasts. For months my nipples itched (with no discharge). Now, for 2 months my breasts have itched so much.
I read once a year ago that itchy breasts is a symptom of cancer and the doctors and american cancer society do not "know "about this yet.
Anyone know?

I wanted to remark that I myself experience itchy nipples if I have drank too much caffeine. If I take myself off of it then the itching goes totally away. I have made a very serious decision to stay off caffeine products and replace them with just good ole plain water. This seems to keep me feeling in tip top shape. Hope this helps

Thanks. I am a 57 y/o male with not only itchy breasts but also chest and stomach itchy too.
I am interested in your comment about the "cancer" connection.
Can you point me to more info? Tks again.

Hi Hollywood Blvd. There was just a story about this on our local chanel. They said that it could be cancer IF there was a rash to go along with it. Also, one breast would/could be swollen. Since I posted this article my itching has completely stopped. I itched for about 8 months. My girlfriend has the same issue... she itched for many months and suddenly it quit. If you have a rash, or are swollen, please see your Dr.
Happy Holidays.
N. Moore

I am a 34 year old female with larger sized breasts. Last winter I had severely itchy breasts for months. It went away in the summer, and now it's back.

I thought it might have been the dryness, but I always keep my breasts hydrated with lotion & Hydrocotisone & They still severely itch.

Confused %-)

There is a rare form of breast cancer called Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Symptoms can include itching, as well as pain, and a hot or swollen breast. ICB usually (although not always) starts in one breast. Since both of your breasts are affected and you don't mention the other symptoms, your itchiness is probably caused by a benign condition. If you are concerned, you should see a doctor.

About IBC: ibcresearch.org/

In response to the itcy breasts- I am a breast cancer survivor at age 32. The nipple of my cancer side itched like crazy, and I did not have inflammatory breast cancer, it was invasive ductal carcinoma. If your breast itches or changes color, or has any changes get it checked, and always perform monthly breast exams-that saved my life. Fact-your never too young to get breast cancer.

I'm 16 years old, and this afternoon I came home and finally looked up what could be the problem with my breasts (in plural by the way). They have been itching for around 2 months, and I have had about the same rash/peeling/raw skin on my nipples since March 4th or so. I have large breasts, and I must constantly wear a bra. Inevitably, that means that my breasts sweat during the day while I'm at school, and there's nothing I can do about it really.

A yeast infection, for those who don't know, is just like athlete's foot which is a fungus that grows from excess sweat. That's what I believe that I have (actually, mom said it was what I have). They have cream you can buy that can fix the problem. I'm not saying that any of you don't have cancer, I just find it extremely unlikely that I have cancer for a multitude of reasons.

-and I will list them so that others that are worried they have cancer can see if they have the same symptoms (you should still get yours checked out, however)-

1) The rash/itching was bad instantly. It has not gotten progressively worse, it's been more or less the same for two months (well, today it was itchier than ever which is why I finally looked up some stuff - but that's because I sweat more today - it was 90 or so degrees outside)
2) I have them on both breasts. I'm sure there are men and women who have had cancer in both breasts, but it's unlikely.
3) I'm 16 years old, and though some my age have gotten cancer before, it is much more unlikely than a woman who is much older. Why? Because it takes several years for mutated cells (cancer cells), to multiply and create more cancer cells
4) I had my mom check. She had yeast infections on her breasts while she was pregnant/breast feeding with my brothers and I, and said that it looked the same (aside from the fact that she knew instantly what it was and I took two months to finally figure out that something was wrong - what can I say? I'm a teenager :P)

My mom said that if I had cancer, I would probably be bleeding and have discharges, and I just started using the yeast infection cream today. It should start to clear up in a week, for me anyway :). If not.. well I'm heading to the doctor probably.

For those of you who recognize your symptoms as the same as mine, here's what I did (still go to the doctor though):

1) Get a cream that kills athlete's foot or something similar
2) Go outside without a shirt on. The radiation from the sun kills yeast bacteria
3) Wash all of your bras, and dry them in the sun for at least 2 hours, for the same reason as above
4) Buy some Aveeno along with the aforementioned cream! I've put on some of my anti-yeast cream, but they are still slightly itchy (I feel much better though ^_^! I thought I had cancer... /shudder)

Anyway, sorry for the big wall of text, but I hope you all figure out what's going on, and don't take my word for it! See your doctor!

I am 41 years old. I got up today with an itchy right breast. I worried about it since it started yesterday and then noticed that my breast was swollen and bigger compared to the left one. That are all my sympthoms. I went to the doctor and she recommend me to hava a mammogram. Any further suggestions?

Newscast on Inflammatory Breast Cancer:
komonews.s3.amazonaws.com/ibc/komo_ibc.wmv

Very informative. You may need more testing.

I'm 21 years old and my breast start itching three months ago. In the begining i thought it was because i was dry but now i'm starting to worry because its all day and night and hasnt stoped.
My breast are big a D but I've never had any problems with them.
They look the same no changes that i can see.
I dont believe its yeast because i breast feed my two year old son and never had a issue.
I really scared can anyone help me? :$

I have large breasts and some trouble with irritation under the breasts, but lately I had terrible trouble with itching on the breasts and nipples. No creams or lotions seemed to help until a sales lady helping me buy a bra said she had the same problem years earlier and that the yeast from under neath can gradually creep up onto the breast and cause a yeast infection there. I started using a hydrocortizone and miconazole product and the itching cleared up pretty quickly

I am so relieved to know other women have this problem too. I have had itchy breasts for several years, ever since menopause I guess. I am on HRT and wondered if it was the HRT that was causing the itching as I noticed it worst at night which is when I take the HRT but even today I am intensley itchy. My itching is also on my torso and on my torso looks hive like and can be completely gone in the morning. On my breasts and nipples no welts but insane itching which makes me yearn for a dry loofa for relief. I have started to worry about cancer...then I goggled both words & here you all are. Tell me more.

It could be athletes breast.

It's possible to scratch you foot, pick up athletes foot from gyms, locker rooms, pool showers, from your kids socks. You scratch your foot, then itch under your bras and Athletes breast starts. The area just below your breast sweats and those silk and polyester bras don't help the situation. I don't want to rule out completely a more serious situation... BUT... you must first check to see if Athletes breast makes any kind of sense. 2 days of LAMISIL and you will get instant relief and be well on your way to stopping all symtoms if it's this. It's an unbearable itch. The more you scratch the larger the area becomes. It may even transfer to the other breast. Be sure to put cream about 2" wider than area effected. If it continues to itch without relief than you may have something more serious. Toss all effected bras. Watch out not to contaminate again with you nails. Many doctors are competely un-aware of this problem. It's real... it's out there....it's treatable quickly with LAMISIL. Don't try all the other cheep stuff. YOu'll spend lots of time just barely treating it...never really curing it with the other stuff. LAMISIL will get it if it's athlete breast. Best of wishes...

I'd suggest anyone experiencing these symptoms look up the word chlamydia.