I'm a 24 year old male and I woke up this morning with a swollen bump (about width of a quarter/ or nickel) on the back left side of my neck...it's located right below my hair line in between my ear and the middle back of my neck. I've felt this bump before but it comes and goes...it hurts a little too if I put pressure on it. Could this be a serious problem?

Also, I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I also went to my doctor about 6 months ago for an ongoing scalp problem. My scalp is really dry, itchy, and I have extremely brittle hair all over my head...on top and sides.. I've been losing eyebrow hair along with the scalp. I've tried all sorts of speciality shampoos for the hair thing but nothing works....I've noticed pimples on my head as well (may be swollen hair follicles not sure).
Could this be related to the bump? My doctor insists the hair/scalp problem is stress but a second opinion won't hurt….
my doctor doesn't know about the bump yet.
I appreciate any advice. Ryan