Hello! I need someone to help me, I have strange bumps on scalp and I can’t help myself not scratching them. I am forced to wash my hair daily for otherwise I risk those strange bumps covering my scalp becoming oilier alike and more reddish. I first had just a small reddish area on the top of my scalp and now this strange bumps have spread covering almost whole my scalp area and I need to wash my head very frequently for these bumps are causing me such burning sensation and itchiness. Please someone help me with some advice with these strange bumps on my scalp-what are they?

You are more likely to have some bacterial infection or inflammation of your hair follicles and this condition is known as folliculitis and it can affect each part of the body but is most common on scalp therefore scalp hair follicles are more likely to develop this sort of infection. Also this condition may not be caused only by some bacterial infection but also by some fungal infection and I advice you try not to scratch these bumps on your scalp for that is how you may irritate them further causing them draining or even light bleeding. Usually this condition disappears by itself within 2 or 3 weeks but if it is of more severe form than some oral antibiotics are usually being prescribed.

what do i need to do to fix/help my scalp? do i need to go to my doctor? please help!!!!

I have had a condition for about 4 months now called folliculitis. It started with an itchy flaky place on the left side of my scalp. I went to the dermatologist and he said it was something that started with the letter "k"(can't remember). He said it would go away in a couple of weeks without any medication. Well, it didn't get better in fact I had to go back and see him again because my head (scalp) had sores on it in several places. These sores would start out like one of those big pimples that won't pop and they hurt because of the pressure in them. In a few days these sores would have crust on the top of them and then go away. But while some were going away then some new ones were just starting up. They itch sooooo bad too and I can't keep my hands off of them. Anyway the dermatologist said it was "folliculitis" which is an infection of the hair follicles, kind of like having ingrown hairs. He perscribed some strong anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic to put on my scalp. Both meds are liquid and trying to apply them to my scalp is difficult because of my thick hair. He also said it is contagious and that it can easily turn into a staff infection since the scalp is already vulnerable. I tried the medicines for awhile and I just can't get rid of it. Sometimes I'll sit and dip Q-tips in alcohol and kind of scratch my scalp with them. Then other times when it is itching so bad that my scalp feels hot I'll poor cold water on my head if it's too late at night to wash my hair. To keep it from getting worse I have 2 brushes that I switch back and forth while one soaks in Hibaclenz(spelling?) and I use the other one. I wash my scalp with that stuff too right before I wash my hair with shampoo. I feel like no matter what I try it just will not get any better. I've had this for at least 4 months and have never had anything like this before. If anybody knows of something else I can try please let me know.

Sick of Itching!!! Thanks in advance.... 

Hi there ctpatt. You described my condition better than anyone else has. I have to wash my hair three times a day and use ice packs. I wake up in the middle of the night seeking some kind of relief and cold water is the only temporary relief I get. Can you tell me if you have found something to make it go away within the last 7 months of your post? Desperately seeking someone who has been there and can guide me out of this hell. Thank you in advance . . . . .

Dear guest, I still have Folliculitis but it has calmed down some. My Dermatologist said that it may never go away. Everything that I have tried has not completely gotten rid of it. For a while there I would cry every time it flared up and thought I was going to lose my mind. With time and patience the severity has subsided. The antibiotics didn't help and the prescription for itching made it itch worse. I quit trying to use what the doctor had prescribed and read online about using tea tree oil. I found a shampoo with tea tree in it along with other great stuff for the skin and scalp. Aloe and green tea and etc. The name of the shampoo I bought is “Nature's Gate" and I found it at Kroger in their healthy/natural section of the store. This shampoo has at ton of natural ingredients in it. It has helped me so much! I have to keep using it though. Every time that I think that it's gone and then switch to my regular shampoo it comes back. So I realized that I have to keep using the Nature's Gate shampoo. If you can't find that shampoo then go to somewhere like GNC and look for shampoo that is as all natural as possible and make sure it has tea tree oil in it.

Tinea Capitis can cause bumps. MDs do not seem to be able to diagnose fungus infections or any other parasite. Topical treatments will not cure it. The best cure is Griseofulvin taken orally for 6 weeks. You can order off the internet from a foreign pharmacy without perscription. Tinea Capitis is scalp ringworm, but it doesn't always look like a typical ringworm fungus. Tinea Capitis can live in the sebaceous glands of the hair folicle below the top layer of the scalp. Because it can live below the top layer of your skin, the body can create bumps, which may be like an allergic reaction. MDs may diagnose bumps as prurigo nodularis, which is a term for ichy bumps that the MD and pathology can't figure out. MDs will get you to come in for multiple visits and will not cure you. After 6 dermotologists, I found a blog similar to this one that mentioned scalp fungus. Finally the answer. Hopefully this information will help someone.

Does Tinea Capitus itch? Does the pimple looking sores pop sometimes with puss in them?

I fell upon a helpful remedy by chance. Try using dry shampoo twice a day just spray it on. It helps better than anything. Tried different brands and they all seem to work. Right after shampooing I dry my hair and spray it on. Really helps me.

Dry shampo has definitely helped me too. But if I don't use it the condition comes back. I also noticed that as I get to the end of a can of dry shampoo it becomes a little less effective. But it definitely helps.

Use vinegar twice a day with regular shampoo but twice a week be sure to use conditioner

Please somebody tell us an answer. Tried everything

Thank you,was contemplating this course of action,its good to hear from someone who has.

I used to get these. I believe they are called impetigo.
Good luck.

I had to spray my scalp with Bactine then Voltaren Gel (a gel form of Advil)...helps with the pain and swelling, but it don't want to go away easy...seemed to start when the weather got warm and I started sweating...never had anything like this!