I suffer from Seborrheic Dermatitis of the scalp, but i was wondering if anyone knows which is the best way how 2 dry it... I am finding this very hard to cope with it is really stressing me out... would anyone suggest dying my hair??????

Dying your hair could help temporarily because it is drying but it could make the situation worse in the long run because you could develop sensitivity to the hair dye and make it worse. If you feel drying your hair out could help I would suggest trying a hair dryer instead since it shouldn't cause any damage to the skin but be gentle. If you google Seb Derm and alternative treatments you can find a lot of good information that your doctor might not tell you. For instance limit or eliminate your intake of sugar, caffeine and carbs try probiotic supplements if you are able and try omega supplements such as Flax Seed Oil. Emerging research is suggestive that this problem is related to Candida Related Syndrome or combination of poor diet with too much processed foods (Don't Eat Fast Food). Also try gentle shampoo containing Tea Tree Oil (if you email me I could tell you the name of one I use but I don't know if I'm allowed to say here it has eased the severity) I am currently trying Jojoba Oil. My biggest suggestion would be that anything new you try, do it in moderation because you never know if it will make it worse. Like if you want to try Jojoba Oil (it has to be 100% pure) only try it on one spot on your scalp at first to see if it seems to get worse there.

I have had seb for over 10 years. it comes and it goes. I only have one suggestion. If you've been to the doctor and they told you had to shave your hair off, don't do it. My first outbreak was when i was a teenager and i was so self conscience about it that I didn't tell any one till it was soo thick and .... just really bad. Well I went to the doctor and she told me to shave my hair off; my mother and i told the doctor that there was no way i was going to shave my hair off. That evening we went to the store and i picked up baby oil, put it in my hair and let it soak over night. The next day my mother combed the dense scales out and it hurt...it hurt bad, I had no scales, a soar scalp, and i had my hair still. I treated it with various shampoos there after. I was a hair model for l'oreal and Clariol campaigns there after. don't loose hope and don't shave your head!

use ketoconazole(Nizoral is the brand name) 1% is available from the store, and 2% through prescription. See what works better. 2% is better for me, its just a pain because I have to go to the pharmacy. Any way use this, dont waste your time with anything else, trust me.

I dyed my hair and i think it improved it a little. I stresses me out too.

baby oil, leave on your hair overnight and scrub it all out in the morning. The ONLY thing that works for me. Sucks, but it works.

I have had seborrhea dermatitis since the early 90s. I've been to numerous Dermatologist and have never found an adequate treatment until just about 4 months ago. It is a combination of the following.

swab entire scalp each night or morning with alcohol. Usually the opposite part of the day from your shower.

Put 3 shampoos in your daily wash routine and rotate each day…make sure to wash rinse, wash rinse.
I personally use 2 regular shampoos, head and shoulders, and a neutrogena tar shampoo if I have a active flaky sore.

This is the part that was an experiment and it miraculously worked
Apply Abreva cold sore cream generously to effected areas after shampoo and hair is dry. Repeat until effected area is gone… yes GONE! Abreva is a anti viral cream. I personally believe the condition is a combination between bacteria and virus working together. The alcohol gets the bacteria that causes the initial sore, while the Abreva attacks the virus that develops in the sore causing the flaky annoying skin condition. I’ve been doing this for months and I’m glad to say that I’m 99.5% free of this disease. Meaning since I’ve been doing this I’ve only had one small break out which I was able to make vanish in about 10 days. Hopefully it will work for others. Thought I’d share this as I was elated about finally finding something that worked.

Good Luck!!!

I have it too. I bought Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner because i heard it made your hair shine. The lady at the check out had told me it was horrible and would strip my hair and really remove any oil. I used it any way.
1. It made my hair beautiful. 2. I noticed ALL of my S.K spots were dried out and disappearing after i had used over the past 3 washes/days. I was amazed it works way better then head and shoulders intensive care and selson blue which i had used in the past.

The one thing I'd suggest is DON'T USE ketoconazole OR nizoral or tgel if you have curly/kinky hair or even when my hair was straight. It overly dried out my scalp making my hair break off and gave me many single strand knots that I NEVER had before. I also tried the foam it was horrible. I also lost hair as a result of it but I was in a small town and it was all they knew I guess. Now I use aloe vera gel, coconut oil for scales, and a shampoo bar to wash but I'm going to try mane n tale like one person did and jason's jojoba shampoo with biotin conditioner. Hopefully that helps. Mine gets bad in the summer but in fall and winter I'm okay.
My lil sis has it too so I kinda wonder if she has sd but she won't listen to me she's using nizoral and keeps wondering why it comes and goes. O well.

I feel like I should take out a billboard on this issue. I have suffered with annoying facial/scalp margin seborrhea for about 5 years. I tried every imaginable over the counter product. The only thing that had any temporary positive effect were prescription steroidal creams, but the effect was only temporary.

Get this. A week ago I was diagnosed with apnea and put on a CPAP. Within five days, yes, five days, my seborrhea has completely disappeared, for the first time in five years. I don't think it a coincidence. I have done some online research on low blood oxygen (often associated with apnea), and the skin can be one of the first organ systems to suffer from low blood oxygen. No other variables changed in the past five days.

I STRONGLY urge anyone suffering from seborrhea, particularly if you're middle-aged (I'm 48) and overweight (I need to lose 50 pounds), to go to a sleep center and get a sleep study. I am absolutely convinced that I have finally nailed the cause/effect for me.

With the dandruff issues... My first thing would be to try shampoos/conditioners w/out ANY TOXIC CHEMICALS!!!! My whole family uses Young Living shampoos/soaps and we've never had a problem w/dandruff. For a couple tests throughout the years, (after a nurse asked me about options w/ bad dandruff) I tried a test. I bought other shampoos from the store just to see if it made a difference (Panteen Pro V and others). Within TWO WEEKS, I had itchy scalp and flakes appearing! Also Young Living Lavender essential oil is great for itchy stuff. (I only use Young Living though, it's the leading brand in the world for therapeutic grade essential oils and they're NOT the same as what you would buy at a health food store/organic section of a market store etc) Go to ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed if you want to try some ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Soak your scalp laying in the bath for 5 mins, sit up, rub shampoo into your hair , now use a headlice comb to get the scabs/dry skin out scratching the scalp as you do it. This will remove it & now all you do is wash your hair daily alternaing between 2 shampoos

I have had sebborheic dermatitus  my whole life and nothing has worked! I am literaly crying my eyes out because my hair is sooooo oily  and never pretty. I need some help!!!!

:'(

I'm experimenting with apple cider vinegar.  I only have a mild case, itchy and little red bumps on my scalp, eyebrows, back and front of my neck and along my jawline, and my hair has been falling for years, even the little baby hairs that regrow.  I've only recently been diagnosed with sd, and have been given a prescription shampoo called Stieprox.

I haven't used the shampoo yet, because the vinegar is working so well.  The rash disappeared immediately and amazingly so has the itching.  I use the vinegar every couple of days.

I believe the vinegar kills the fungus involved (a yeast called malassezia furfur).  Someone mentioned blood sugar and candida, and I really think these play a big part in this (I am diabetic, and this started with my 4th pregnancy.  I had gestational diabetes with my 5th, 6th and 7th pregnancies, and am now type II). 

Vinegar makes my hair so shiny and amazingly soft, and I can feel the extra blood flow to my scalp, and my face turns red when I wipe it on my face and neck.  I use a cotton ball soaked in the apple cider vinegar, wiping my whole head, face and neck, and about a half hour later, I take a shower (I found only head and shoulders ever controlled it).  The vinegar stings just a little on the rash, but the rash completely dries up in a day!  If I go 3 days without the vinegar, the rash starts to come back a little.  Apple cider vinegar has a strong smell, but that goes away when your hair dries, (but getting it wet brings the smell back some, so I streak my hair quickly with a little essential oil like rose, sandalwood or jasmine when it's dry).

Hope vinegar helps others too.  I don't know yet if it cures it, but it sure has made a difference in just a week.

I'm 27yo and have had it since I was 16yo.

Dying your hair may not be the best thing unless it's with someone that can avoid touching your scalp. I tend to blowdry my hair but one of the best ways I do is by putting a winter cap on and then blowdying over it. it keeps my scalp from over drying while I do it.