Hi, I have problem with my scalp. It is really itchy and I have to scratch it all the time. While I do it, dandruff is "jumping" out like crazy and I think that my hair is falling off also. I use all kinds of anti-dandruff shampoos but that does not help me a lot. A friend of mine told me that I should see a doctor about my problem. Before I do that, what can you tell me about this problem that I have with my scalp?

Hi, the problem with the scalp that you are having, commonly known as dandruff, is medically called seborrheic dermatitis. Beside the scalp, it can also affect other parts of the body like eyebrows, lips, area behind the ears, legs and arms. The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is still unknown. There are some studies that connect it with some neurologic disorders like Parkinson disease and epilepsy. The good thing is that this scalp problem can be treated. Usually it is done by using salicylic acid shampoo. If the results you experienced were caused by using this kind of shampoo, the treatment must, in addition to the shampoo, contain steroid lotion. However, the best view in your condition and the right course of treatment will be provided by the doctor.