t whom it may concern,

I have had a dry, itchy scalp for 8 years now, as a result my hair has become very dry, i have tried many different products, as im writing this email the side of my scalp is stining, I have also noticed dry patches on both sides of my face, i get very down over this, my gp has told me to try a medicated shampoo, none of them ever work, any guidelines would be great.

I always wash my hands after touching my hair or scalp. Doctors never tell you this, but if you have itchy scalp and then scratch or rub close to hair roots, and then touch eyes or scratch in ear or nose (bottom), leg, behind knee, etc, you can come into more skin problems that you dont want.

I also do the same when touching the foot area. Especially the foot. I never touch my head or scalp after rubbing someones feet or trying to expire an itch on my heel or the side of my foot. I always wash my hands.

Finger tips can hold microbial grim and molecular deposits of a foot fungus or scalp irritation. Fingernails can hold larger deposits if you use them for scratching scalp. You can often get rid of it with rinsing routinely your fingers and deeper lines of your palms. More exact cleansing occurs when you go the extra step and use foam soap or a bar of anti-bacterial soap that are not too harsh on your skin. You want to use a mild soap, because you are washing the tips of fingers and rinsing hands often. I wash or rinse hands in water, sometimes 25 to 30 times.

I also pay attention to dust that is in the garage or on old books, dirt and various types of soil or weedplants. Sometimes an old pipe in the garage has dirty oil or some type of corrosion on it. If this gets down in the tiny lines of your finger tips, and you get some smeared on your ear or scalp, it can cause an irritation or pecular flare-up.

I also notice my scalp psorisis gets bad if I do not bathe for 2 or more days, 3 and 4 days can cause facial flaking (including eyelids).

One thing I use when I want to "get my scalp clean," is a deep cleaning astringent, like "Sea Breeze."

Also when skin soars start to manifest on me, or skin starts to become rough like a redish welt, these irregularities usually appear on the upper part of my foot near the ankle. I have found that if I wash those areas more vigourously during showers, with a wash cloth, antibacterial soap like dial on the wash cloth, the abrasion or welt goes away. Sometimes it takes a month or so, but it still goes away if I wash it more vigorously with a wash cloth. Every 2 or 3 days is enough.

One thing I use when I want to "get my scalp clean," is a deep cleaning astringent, like "Sea Breeze." I just plan on a longer shower. I wash with normal shampoo or head and shoulders. Wash hair twice, scrubbing scalp more vigorously during second washing with shampoo. Rinse all shampoo out. Then I get the astingent. I buy the large bottles. 10 to 16 ounches (295ML or higher). 24 ounches if they have it. The container usually has a small pop-top and the pour-opening is slightly smaller than a pencil erasure (in diameter). I tip head back 90 degrees and raise bottle to my temple and hairline. This is important, because your hair is wet and you want to avoid getting astringent near eyes....

When hair is wet, wicking can occur. So make sure hair is out of ears and off face and eye areas. I then engage in a series of 1 second and 1/2 second pours. Between pours I give the astringent time to wick and leach out on scalp. Then I rub it in scalp and move it around with my fingertips.

I start with top hair line, right side top, then right temple side. Holding head back so splash goes over the top and back of my head to leach or rinse downward over my back and shoulders area. When right top and temple side of head is done, I go to left side. Top left near hairline, area on side above ears. Then I go to back top, and then back side of head. Keep in mind astringent covers more area when mixed with wetness in hair. Hair wet with astringent can be used like a sponge to move the astringent to other areas in back of scalp, top of head and behind ears. Often times you can get the leaching to go from top to back, so when you get to back side of scalp, you do not need to apply as much astringent.

When working the top hair lines and over ears, it is important to control forward splash and wicking. I hold bottle in one hand, and use other hand as a shield to block forward splashing. Hand is placed tightly above the eyebrows like when a sailor salutes the captain, only tighter, and following natural curvature of temple and brow. I use this method combined with head tilted back, to channel excess flow back on my hair, and to keep splash from trickling in my ears.

I leave astringent on scalp and you can feel the tingle, wow. After two to five minutes, I rinse it all out and scrub scalp while rinsing.

I never let astringent go down on my front side. Always down in back or try to get rinse to go from head to floor of tub, because I do not want watered down astringent to get on my sweet p or gentle gens.

:-D

For spot treatment, sometimes my chest will get a rash red on front, center of my chest. I am somewhat a broad burly man, and with a healthy stand of hair on the chest, skin under chest hair sometimes gets ignored. After treating scalp with astringent, I will spot dab a little on the parts that are giving me the eyebrow of concern. I will also spot dab nose and mouth and neck.

Just pour a little on the palm of hand and splash. Pour some more in palm and dip fingers in for spot dabbing. Put the bottle away when done and rinse for a couple more minutes. Soap face if you want to, but I dont try to wash the scalp again. I use no conditioner other than what is in the shampoo. I just use water to rinse and vigorously scratch the scalp while rinsing to get it out. After shower I can feel my head tingling for 10 to 20 minutes which means it is still working on a molecular level.

After I get scalp flaking under control with like 3 astringent sessions, on scalp inside of 10 days, I will back off and just use head and shoulder or Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and scrub the scalp with vigor when I shower. This works good, and allows me to curb the use of astingent to once a month or once every two weeks. In that way I dont feel like I have to be burdened with using a lot of astingent or depriving myself of specialty conditioners after I get it under control.

Other than that, I take no special medicines and I have long stopped buying gadget type remedies like shampoos that make special promises.

For me, and myself, skin irritation, redness and itching (around face and hairlines especially) is a signal I am not washing or bathing as regularly as I should. This is the body's natural way of saying. Hey buster, give me a good scrubbing in the bath please.

hello, for YEARS my scalp would get extremely red, dry, flakey and gross in the winter due to sebhorreic dermatitis. It affected my self esteem and was extremely embarassing. I've tried medicated shampoos from the dermatologist, topical steroids, organic shampoo, sulfate free shampoos, baby shampoos, tea tree oil...basically everything under the sun, but i found something that has helped me tremendously.

Instead of shampoo, I use Cetaphil DAILY Facial Cleanser because it occurred to me that if it's gentle on my face then why can't I use it on my scalp? I crush one tablet of aspirin and mix it with the Cetaphil and use it as a shampoo. It definitely requires more product than regular shampoos, but it has SAVED my scalp! I massage it into my scalp for a good minute then rinse.

I live in the northeast and winters here are brutal, but this concoction has really helped. My scalp is no longer red, irritated, and flaking like crazy. I still get flakes, but they're not nearly as bad (or patchy) as before and my scalp does not feel irritated.

I also installed a shower filter (GE brand) and I think it has helped a bit, but I definitely saw an immediate improvement with the Cetaphil and aspirin.

I hope this helps. (Cetaphil costs about $10 for the large bottle and a bottle of aspirin is $3 at Target)