Can someone tell me more about sebaceous cysts? My friend thinks he has a cancer. I don’t know anything about this to be able to tell him that he is ok. I am also telling him to go to his doctor. I would appreciate any information.

It is nice that you are worried about your friend and that you want to help him. I will give you some information about these cysts ant hope that I will be useful. Sebaceous cyst is also known as an epidermal cyst and it is a collection of keratin-like material. It is usually white, cheesy, or firm and contained in a cyst wall. They normally have a small opening that communicates with the skin. Sebaceous cysts can occur on any skin surface. They are most common on the face, back or base of the ears, chest and back. They do not have to be removed unless they are cosmetically unacceptable or infected. An infected sebaceous cyst looks red, swollen, and painful and it should be treated with antibiotics and excised when it is not inflamed. It is absurd that your friend thinks he has a cancer without the proper diagnosis. That way of thinking is not healthy at all. The best thing for him is to go to his doctor and to stop stressing about things that are not realistic.