I've had these bumps around my armpits for a while now. At first I thought they were "pimples" caused by an infection or something, perhaps related to shaving. But the thing is, unlike pimples, they don't hurt and though they have something "white" inside I don't think it is pus. Plus, it has been a while now and they are showing no signs of going away. So now I am beginning to suspect they aren't pimples at all, and some looking around the web makes me think they they could well be sebaceous cysts. If that is what the bumps in my armpits are, what am I supposed to do about these sebaceous cysts?

Hello there. From this point of view, it is hard to say, but it is likely that your doctor will recommend a sebaceous cyst removal. How this cyst looks like, I mean, you can easily notice and see if this is an infection. Sure, it can be, but I would recommend you not to touch it and to squeeze it because you can get into the trouble. Also, don't put any hot or cold covering. It is not a recommended. Maybe it is just an infection from shaving or deodorant. If you want, wait for a couple of days to see what is going to happen, and during this time, don't shave your armpits and don't put a deodorant. 

Hi Guest,

I'd be thinking more along the lines of folliculitis - from shaving.  It can appear as pimple, sometimes red, and often with a white head.

Sebaceous cysts generally cause a lump under the skin.

See your doctor.  Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicles.  It often resolves by itself quickly but since you've seen it for a while you DO need to get it checked.  It can spread and it can cause scarring.

Be sure to use ONLY a clean razor when you shave.

Hope it helps.

You know, apart from the fact that sebaceous cysts aren't especially attractive, if they are not causing you any pain, you have the option of just leaving them there. If you don't want to go with that for whatever reason, sebaceous cysts can be treated in various ways.

Injections is a popular way to deal with them. Here, medicine that reduces the swelling is injected into the cyst itself. They can also be drained through a tiny cut in the skin after which, however, they can come back again. Surgery to remove the whole little sac is another choice you have, as well as laser treatment.

First of all though, see your doctor for proper diagnosis to make sure you indeed have sebaceous cysts and not something else.

I agree with the above poster.

If you suspect sebaceous cysts, and your description certainly sounds like that is what you could be dealing with, I'd first see my primary care provider and get a diagnosis, then be referred to a dermatologist for treatment. Drainage is the easiest way of dealing with sebaceous cysts but not the most long-term one. Simply discuss the treatment options and their pros and cons with your doctor and then take it from there, if, indeed, sebaceous cysts are your problem.

Many sebaceous cysts, by the way, go away on their own after a while without any medical intervention or self treatment whatsoever. Besides the fact that they can look a little ugly, also, there is really no medical reason to go to great lengths to get them removed especially if they are in your armpits and not on your face. Who will see that? You could always swing by your doctor to have them check out if you are worried they could be something else (though no idea what that looks similar could actually be dangerous in any way), but I wouldn't worry about treatment if they aren't bothering you.

Hello Dan,

I'm confused now. I Googled pictures of both sebaceous cysts and folliculitis and at the end of the day, I am not sure which one I have. Could be something else entirely as well I guess. BUT the thing that struck me was that sebaceous cysts, which are often quite big from the looks of it though some are small, have this round dome thing around them that looks sore from the pressure, but not otherwise infected. Folliculitis looks very sore, inflamed and infected. Mine definitely looks more like sebaceous cysts though nothing like the very big ones you see on Google Images.

Since it isn't hurting or getting worse I'm not sure about seeing a doctor right now...

I don't know what you have, obviously. My personal rule of thumb is simple though: If you are dealing with some kind of medical condition, you don't know what it is, it isn't easily verifiable in a 100% certain kind of way, and you are not sure what to do about it, it's time to call your doctor. Now, what you have does not sound like it is an emergency situation of any kind, so I would not be in a hurry seeing my doctor, but I'd sure do it at some point or another. Better to know what you're dealing with so you know what the treatment options are, you know?

If you have sebaceous cysts (or anyone else does), there are a few home remedies that are worth trying before you go medical. Often water diluted tea tree oil, like a third tea tree oil and two thirds water, will do the trick. Aloe vera is another natural remedy for sebaceous cysts that you could try. You can also use potassium iodide and hot compresses. Apple cider vinegar, too, is yet something else that may work. If that doesn't help at all, which it should, then you could go have them drained.