Hi. I have sebaceous cysts all over my scalp, ears and face, even on my back. I want to remove them surgically and would like to know more about sebaceous cysts excision. Is it possible for a cyst to recur after excision?

Hi. I had a sebaceous cysts removal - excision, and it`s really a simple, common procedure, performed by a family physician, to completely remove the sac ant its` contents. Completely removed cyst will not recur. Also, I had to take some oral antibiotics before excision, my cysts were infected. A family physician will give you a local anesthesia. Did you know that sebaceous cysts are benign tumors? They are caused by blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production.

I had a cyst excised this afternoon as a matter of fact - I've had it for about 7 years, and decided to finally ask the doctor about it a couple weeks ago. It is on my lower back. When I went in for the procedure today, the doctor injected lydocaine to numb the area, made a small incision (less than .25 of an inch), expressed the contents of the cyst which was a white pasty material (this took lots of hard squeezing, and although I didn't feel any pain, I am a little bruised from the pressure), removed the cyst wall, and closed the incision with a single stitch. All this took about 35 minutes.

I was advised to keep the site clean and dry (no bath or shower for 24 hours, so take one before you go), and I'll need to go back in a week to have the stitch removed, unless I can talk my husband into doing it for me. It's been about 2.5 hours since the procedure now, and the numbness has worn off. It feels like a small cut would feel, but it's not terribly painful at all. In fact I haven't even taken any Advil or anything.

If the entire cyst wall is removed, it's almost impossible (99.99% impossible according my doctor) for the cyst to recur, although if you're prone to these types of cysts another might form in the same general location.

Good luck!

I have a cyst operated today. Similar to above-mentioned statement which is 99.99% correct I am only expressing my thanks to Dr. Almoro of JP Rizal Hospital from Los Banos, Laguna for operating me FREE of Charge. He was such a good physician that I did not feel the pain.

Salamat Doc!

My husband has had 2 cysts surgically removed from the back of his neck on 2 separate visits and both have come back and are worse. Before the first surgery he took oral antibiotics for 30 days. After the first procedure a nurse came by daily for 2 weeks to change the bandages. The doctor had left the incision open so it would heal from the base to the surface. 6 weeks later the other was removed and the doctor stitched it up. This was last fall and they both abscess regularly. He has a 3rd that is located between the 2 that were supposedly removed and he is extremely hesitant to go under the knife again. I clean his neck daily and bandage them when they "pus out" as he puts it. We are going to see the doctor today.