I have a daughter with problematic face skin. She has acne since she was 15 and now, 3 years later seems it is worst then it used to. Few days ago, I have noticed small lump beneath the skin. It is causing redness, tenderness, with some smelly material draining from cyst. Can you tell me more about her condition, and what should we do?

I believe your daughter’s problem is sebaceous cyst. That means closed sac that is usually found under the skin. It could contain pasty or cheesy looking skin secretions. The problem most often arise from swollen hair follicles, but and skin trauma can induce a cyst to form. These sebaceous cysts are usually found on the face, neck, and trunk, but I can freely say we have most commnly reported cases with face cysts. They are usually slow growing, painless, and freely movable lumps beneath the skin. Occasionally cyst might become inflamed and tender, which might be a problem. Sebaceous cysts are not dangerous and can usually be ignored, expect when they are inflamed and tender. Some others may grow large and interfere with life, that is why, in these cases, patient can have sebaceous cyst surgically removed in a physician's office. Alternatively, small inflamed cysts can be treated by injection of steroid medications, which I would recommend your daughter to ask for her doctor.

Yes, your daughter has developed a sebacous cyst.

I'm a 36 year old male and i developed a facial sebacous cyst on my right cheek, so i went to see my doctor.

He told me that it would have to be removed and not to worry, so i had to go into hospital in July 2005 to get it removed.

I can assure you and your daughter that the procedure is minor, they numb the area with a local jab( you don't even feel this as they pre-numb the area with a topical gel).

I can tell you that i felt nothing..not a thing! I was even chatting to the doctor when he was taking the cyst out, you're still awake but lying down with your eyes closed and they have a piece of cloth covering the area.

I got 5 stitches but your scar fades considerably over time. I'd say the procedure took 10-15 minutes! You can walk out of the hospital and go home, i wouldn't worry about it at all but i'd say that she will have to get it removed.