Hi, I am a twenty six years old woman. I have a problem that I did not even know has a medical background. You see, whenever it is cold my fingertips are "useless". They become numb. I went to see a doctor and he has diagnosed me with Raynaud's disease. I am on a medical therapy. What I would like to know is why Raynaud's happen?

Hi, just in case that the doctor has not explained the Raynaud's disease to you, I will do it for him. Reynaud's disease is a blood circulation related disease. It is the inability of the organism, when exposed to cold and stressful situations, to supply certain body parts with sufficient amount of blood. These situations normally make blood vessels constrict but in the case of Raynaud's disease, the constriction of blood vessels is exaggerated. Apart from that, the doctors are not aware why does this condition happen. Some scientists have proven that Raynaud's disease is partially inherited. This condition can be an illness for itself, primary Raynaud's, or can be a result of another condition, secondary Raynaud's. You should talk to your doctor about everything that concerns you.