I had my gall bladder removed at 21 and since then have suffered badly from constipation and IBS. I've recently realised that I am not digesting my food properly and I bought some digestive enzymes from a local health food shop, which seem to help. I'm vegetarian but I even opted for enzymes containing 'ox bile' as I am so desperate. I've also put on quite a lot of weight around my middle, which I never had before. Am I on the right track with the digestive enzymes? Why did no doctor ever mention that they might be helpful? How do I know if I'm taking the right enzymes and why did no doctor ever recommend that I take them, I wonder?

A doctor would not recommend them because they have not been tested by any sort of FDA or government agency. I don't think that they are even aware that they exist, and it's possible that your recovery could be more a placebo effect than an actual recovery. I hope that whatever you are taking still works for you.