Please tell me the symptoms of non-functioning gall bladder.

I do not have a gallblader disease, we have to go to cincinnati ohio.

I just had my gal bladder taken out last week. I suffered from gal bladder disease Cholecystitis for almost 2 years. I am replying to your post incase you are incurring problems/pain to help inform you of this disease. Acute cholecystitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the gallbladder, resulting in severe, steady upper abdominal pain (biliary colic), which may occur repeatedly. Chronic cholecystitis is long-standing inflammation of the gallbladder characterized by repeated attacks of pain (gallbladder attacks) over a prolonged period.

At least 95% of people with acute cholecystitis have gallstones. The inflammation almost always begins without infection, although infection may follow later. Rarely, acute cholecystitis occurs in a person without gallstones (acalculous cholecystitis). Acalculous cholecystitis is a serious disease. It tends to occur after major injuries, operations, burns, bodywide infections (sepsis), and critical illnesses—particularly in people receiving prolonged intravenous feedings. It can occur in young children as well, perhaps originating as an infection (viral or other).

In chronic cholecystitis, the gallbladder is damaged by repeated attacks of acute inflammation, usually from gallstones, and may become thick-walled, scarred, and small. The gallbladder generally contains sludge or gallstones that often obstruct its outlet or the cystic duct.

Please research it and discuss with your Doctor. I had seen several doctors over the last 2 years (mainly gastro/internists). I was very frustrated because I would get ill and be in terrible pain off and on. I never had stones, so most doctors thought my gal bladder was fine. I becames very ill. I also have a history of Pylonephritis (kidney infection) which started to also accompany my gal bladder attacks. When going to the hospitals they would treat me only for the Pylonephritis.

Make sure you get a Cat Scan with contrast and an Ultra Sound done that specifically looks at the gal bladder. I had about 7 regular/general ultra sounds done this past year and the Doctors were unable to find anything. It was not until I kept urging them after I was vomiting, pale as a ghost, doubled over in pain and with fever for about 5 days in the hospital that the hospital decided to run these 2 tests on me. I was disgusted with the treatment I recieved because the physicians did not believe anything was wrong and were actually going to send me home. Then they saw that there were fluids in and surrounding my gal bladder, it was inflamed and the walls were thickening. They took it out the next day and I have never felt better! Good Luck with everything! I hope this was helpful.

HelP my 29 year old husband as gall bladder disorder.What can we do to keep it under control? :-( What can happen if he doesn't get it removed.Right now we have no insurance!!!! o.O NO one will help him!

I'm sorry to hear about this -- I'll keep you in prayer.

I was diagnosed with a non functioning gall bladder years ago but somehow it got better while eating better foods

My problem is I have a stomach bloating issue and under my ribs hurt and I cannot lose weight at all.

I have been trying to lose weight for years and cannot get it off. I walk two miles on the treadmill everyday and I do the doctor atkins diet now and that is not even working.

Could this be because of my gall bladder? Could my stomach be bloated from my non functioning gall bladder?

Sherry

Sherry you might want o get your thyroid tested I had the same problem and come to find out it is because of hypothyriodism,
here are some of the symptoms
fatigue
problems losing weight
digestive issues
bloating
memory loss
back aches
infertility (depends)
abnorrea/ irregular periods
hair loss

if you have any couple of these symptoms you might want to talk to your doctor about taking a blood test

I have had several test Ultrasound, CT and I am going in on Thursday for the HIDA test. I can tell you I initially thought and felt like I was pregnant with the pain and so forth. Come to realize my stomach is swollen, I am gaining weight FAST, I am on high blood pressure pills and have a lot of water retention so Diuretics was also given to me and have a lot of heavy belching. I am also suffering repeatedly from pain from the middle of my chest moving towards the right side and up around the rib cage and to the shoulder blade. Finally, the doctor is realizing I have common symptoms of possible, Non-Functioning Gall Bladder. I don't care what it is I just want it out of me.

Wow, this is me to a "T". I started out having chest pains in February '09. Went to a cardiologist and had a stress test, which was awesome. I then had an ultrasound in March and HIDA Scan in April that showed 87% injection rate. My cardiologist sent me to a gastro doctor. I started having severe burning pains in chest, bloating, severe belching, diahhrea, fatigue, nausea, pain directly below breast bone. Had endoscopy done in June '09 - nothing significant found. Antacids did nothing for me. Had 2 CT scans, another ultrasound, and a MRI - all negative. Had another HIDA scan done in August '09 - 67% this time. In July '09, started having intense pain under right rib cage. This has only gotten worse. Now it's October '09 and I am in terrible pain all the time in right upper quadrant of abdomen that radiates to my right flank area and right chest towards my shoulder. I am also having pain between my shoulder blades and I'm always pale and feel sick all the time. Pain pills have been doubled with little relief. Thankfully my gastro doesn't think I'm crazy. He said he's seen enough patients like me with negative tests but it still is their gallbladdder. He is now referring me to a surgeon. I am going to have this darn gallbladder removed. I wish I had "proof" it is my GB before it's removed but I am fairly confident that it is since I feel worse after I eat and everything else has been ruled out. It's getting so bad that I am willing to take a chance. Unfortunately, these doctors most of the time don't want to do anything unless there is concrete evidence. I know a lot of it has to do with insurance companies. I've been down this road before before I had my hysterectomy. My GYN had to jump through hoops before taking my uterus. I guess that's good and bad.

I have just been diagnosed with a slow functioning gallbladder as well. I had a test done at the hospital where they inject a radioactive tracer and then take pictures to see how fast the gallbladder is moving. He just said I was below average, and that would definitely cause the indigestion/nausea/bloating/belching and pains.
He does not reccommend surgery as he explained it is one of those things that does not always help. Some patients feel better, some stay the same and the other 1/3 get worse! So, please don't demand surgery right away. I can understand it if you are in acute pain and vomitting constantly. But if it only acts up when you eat the wrong foods....

I know a handful of women who have had them out, and they all still can't eat the way they used to. One friend had EVERY single complication of surgery imaginable, and it took her 6 months to recover....and she still can't eat ice cream or eggs.

I think this is a wake up call for me to eat more whole healthy foods....and to get rid of the junk. I am trying a naturopathic route with green smoothies, lots of beets, ox bile (bile salts), and see how I feel with that. My GI doc actually admitted that some of his patients have had lots of success with naturopaths to heal and soothe it.

Once it is cut out, they can't put it back in. And you still may not be able to eat they way you used to.

Take care,
freesia

Sherry, I am a natural bodybuilder who is having issues with gallbladder as well. I have all the classic symptoms and I am having a hida scan today. I have competed for the last two years and have had no trouble losing weight for my competitions. I thought you might find this article helpful when it comes to the Atkins diet. I mean this in the nicest way possible but get off that diet unless you want to develop things like goiters and c**p! Here is the link.

I was told when I was 22 that my gallbladder was a sludge maker and would need to come out eventually.. Don