I had my gall bladder removed in Jan of this year.. since surgery, my face is like an oil slick, and is constantly breaking out.. is this caused from the surgery? it was not like this before the surgery..

Hi Linni,

I don't think the gall bladder surgery is the link to your oily skin. In fact, most research indicates that your skin will become very dry and wrinkle easily. Your diet could play a major role in this. It is interesting, but our skin really reflects our diet and in order to fix what is going on with our skin you have to work from the inside out. Eating healthy vegetables and lots of greens will help, while reducing foods high in cholesterol. If you are already doing this, then something else is going on. It might be a good idea to check with your doctor. Also, you might post a message in the gall bladder portion of the forum and I suspect you will get some great advice on what is going on!

Take care.

My skin is like an oil slick also! it's been 10 days since my surgery. I can tell you 100% it from the gallbladder surgery. My skin is not breaking out but it is oily. How are you feeling? I know it's been years but how are you doing?

I had my gallbladder out and the same thing and i have low potassium too since i had it removed. you digiestive system asborbs all the minerals and vitamins your body needs with out ur gallbladder it just flows right thruough most people because i go to the bathroom soon as I eat no matter what my diet is so how can my body asborb the nutrients it needs and it has been almost 2 years still the same.I have been to so many Doctors and they are clueless

My face started breaking out after I had my gall bladder removed so I did some research and found that breaking out on your forehead could be because of your gall bladder. What your face looks like does reflect what's going on inside your body. I found that limiting  my soda and not eating dairy and meat had helped a lot. 

My face is also and oil slick and breaking out since having my gallbladder taken out. I wash my face before bed and wake up so greasy :( can anyone help with this? I don't eat out much. My skin was so dry before the surgery.

I thought I was the only one, Face and hair is like someone put baby oil in it. The only ghange in my life was gallbladder removal 10 months ago.

Same oily face 2 wks after gallbladder removal. I never even had zits with puberty. I'm the one people compliment on complexion, never even had to bother with make up. Now i look like...wow! Is this from a bile leakage or something??

Exact same thing happening to me, but I have been eating badly no lie.. It's only been almost two weeks since surgery and my face is always super oily, and I've started getting breakouts. I never had acne or breakouts even through puberty.. My skin has only ever been dry. I'm 24 yo

Well I am going to share this so people know it IS related to gallbladder removal! My gallbladder (removal) surgery was 3 years ago now. I was in horrible pain for 5-6 years before surgery with a lot of stomach issues.. by time I had surgery I had 100% blockage. Some people have no issues after but within a week or so after I had serious oily face. I am 43 and never had issue with face, skin or weight. My skin was so oily no matter what I'd do you could feel oil seeping from my pores. I had the worst sores/acne I can't even describe. It looked like those pics you see of meth addicts before & after. Mind you my whole life I never had issue with face/skin. Never had to use anything on my face but quick wash to get make up off and that's it. The acne/sores would take FOREVER to heal. This went on for year in a half horrible (to where my entire face was covered). Now on year 3 I still get the oily face and acne/sores but they are not near as bad and not as many but the ones I get are still sores and big. I have tried everything and nothing helps. I also never had weight issue or never had to watch what I ate and I've gained 20+ pounds extremely fast and I'm only 5'2" so that looks like 80 pounds on a normal size person. It's not everywhere it's only like spare tire/below belt and perfectly gain right around that section only. Btw I'm a female. So what have I tried... I have done endless research. Seen docs, had some tests done and I get nowhere so I have just researched everything I can and keep trying things. I cut out gluten, dairy, wheat etc- still didn't help face, oily skin or weight. Helped my digestion a tiny bit but that's it. Take bunch of digestive enzymes- still take and no don't help face/oily. Read can be deficient in certain vitamins so take extra zinc, vitamin c, b, iron etc. helped tiny bit but nope still having issue. Hormones- doc said they were ok but I stop birth control pills and started a natural estrogen/progesterone. I don't know... Now I'm cranky and having awful monthly times but still oily and face issues. Oh dermatologist put me on minocycline- if I take it everyday and do not go off of it then it helps a little bit I don't think antibiotic is good to be on 24/7 forever but every time I stop it gets worse and when I am on it constantly it still doesn't go away. What else.... Changed all face wash, scrub, make-up etc. I have tried everything inside and outside of my body. IT IS SOMETHING FROM THE SURGERY WE ARE NOT GETTING OR IT FLARED UP OR DURING SURGERY INFECTION SPREAD... I believe it stirred up adrenal, hormones and digestion and without gallbladder our bodies doesn't know how to get back in sync and we don't know exactly what area we need to check to figure it out but you think a doc or GI would know!!!! I can't go on like this much longer. It's been 3 miserable years.....

32 yr old African American female, had my gallbladder out in June 2015. I HAVE NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH MY SKIN!!!!!! I only used to wear make-up like 2-3 times a year on very special occasions. I have used everything from Proactiv on down the list of cleansers. Nothing helps!!! My skin is so oily in the morning its like I just worked out. This is horrible. HELP!!!

I have the exact same problem. I have not had a change in my diet and I never use to break out, but ever since my gallbladder removal in April, I have been having break outs on my face and all over my chest and shoulders. There has got to be a link!!

43 yo black woman. Used to get ppl asking what kind of make up I wear when I was wearing none. Gall bladder removed and acne break outs started. I've linked them to cheese and ice cream...high fat therefore. I now Drink loads of water and stay away from high fat foods. Face is better but still lots of break outs on shoulders and back. Awful. The changes coincided with gall bladder removal.

Wow and I thought I was on my own with this one! Had my gb out a week today and my face is so oily when I wake up in the morning. I've tried face creams but nothing seems to help. I spoke to gp on Monday but he just fobbed it off.

My skin so so clear after my gallbladder removal. It looks years younger since. So very interesting to hear other people's experiences