I don't know what to do. For the last 2 1/2 years my almost 4yr. old will hold in his poop. He will even walk tippy toe around the house to keep it in. He goes about once a week, sometimes longer. He usually goes in his sleep, when his muscles are relaxed. It is purely psychological, as he's seen a gastroentologist last year. My pediatrician has recommended using Miralax daily, but he can always tell when it's in his drink and won't finish it, so we never know exactly how much he's getting. And when it is in his system, all he really does is "shart" (sorry, can't think of another way to describe it)That happens every 2o min, so he's constantly getting changed, and his skin is breaking. He's actually bleeding and hysterical when we change him. (I cry too, as I hate to see him in pain)I've been using a 3M barrier film on him as well as a cream (zinc, aquaphor,an anti-fungal, and oragel)Nothing is working!! He's completely anti-toilet, so he's in diapers still. His ped. doesn't even want us to push hard-core potty-training until this issue gets resolved. Anyone else going thru this?

When I was his age, many years ago, I don't remember if I was intentionally holding it in or not but I recall my mother giving me an enema. o.O Whatever the reason for that, I sure didn't want her to do that again and I made sure she never had a reason to. 8-|

Hi. Did you ever have a resolution? My 2 1/2 year old has this exact same issue, everything you mentioned we are also going through. It is so hard!!