I recently purchased myself a purebred miniture daushound. I love my little Tucker but we are having problems with potty training him. He's 7 months old and is still pooping in the house! We have had mutts before and never had any problems with them. When I had bought him I was told that purebreds are harder to potty train vs mixed dogs. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this and had troblems potty training their animals or if it is a myth. Any advice on potty training is greatly appriciated! Thanks :-D

Hi Aimless, I can tell you that whatever it is, it has nothing to do with a dog being purebred or not! I have had troubles with dogs in the past, and the best thing you can do is consistency. I wouldn't even bother with puppy pee pads if you've used them, at all. The best thing to do is to try to give your dog treats for pooping outside, which helps the most. DOes that make sense?

Yes, we do that! And after he goes we give him praise and tell him he's a good boy. We've rented a carpet cleaner and cleaned the whole house because books say if they can smell their own sent, they'll keep going to that spot to use the bathroom. It seems like we are running out of ideas for him. It gets so frustrating!

aimless_722 wrote:

That's true about the scent, and they will continue to do that, so at least you've covered that base.I suppose another tactic would be to confine him to one area for awhile. When you reduce the chances he has to go in different places, you sort of give him no option but to tell you when he needs to go outside. Have you tried that yet?

Yup. We only allow him in the dinning room and in kitchen with wooden floors. We have also placed a bell on the door. We are trying to get him to ring it whenever he needs to go out but he ends up just playing with it. We're willing to try anything.

aimless_722 wrote:

Try restricting him even further just to the kitchen unless it's just way too small. That's what I did with my dogs and they were so well trained on going to the bathroom that I really only had myself to blame when I forgot to let them out or was getting a drink without taking them on walkies. Do you have a big enough kitchen to swing that?

No, our kitchen isn't big enough. That's why he is in the kitchen and the dining room. Plus his crate is in the dining room so he sleeps in there. It's like his room so he doesn't go in there. He's been doing pretty good since we restricted him.

aimless_722 wrote:

That's good to hear. That and tons of patience and I'm sure you'll have him housebroken in no time. I'm sure that he's very smart if it takes awhile to get him to poo outside. Smart dogs know that it's best to do it inside and let the humans clean it all up.