olive oil helps with inflamation. It is natural and it works.

It''s not inflamation. I got an anti-inflamatory shot to the back of my head and even that didnt help... so I know for sure it's not inflamation that we are all experiencing.

I am just drinking my second mug of coffee....my headache is subsiding enough for me to get on here and search on this subject. I am a 58 year old woman, good blood pressure, a little overweight and living a semi-stressful part of my life. I used to get hormone related headaches but those were always in the front, just above my eyes. These back of the head aches are a new phenomena for me. I have, too, been waking up with extreme head/neck pain, I feel sick to my stomach and while I am making my pot of coffee, often feel waves of nausea but I work passed it and although the headache abates, I can still feel a sensitivity up the back of my head. Anyone else? 

hello everyone , I JUST WANTED TO START BY SAYING I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM MIGRAINES SENSE I WAS YOUND AND SEVERE BACK PAINS NO DOCTORS WANTED TO LISTEN TO ALL THE SYMPTOMS I HAVE THAT RANGE FROM MIGRAINES TO ARM PAIN BACK PAIN EYE PRESSURE AMONG MANY OTHERS BUT FINALLY A MONTH AGO I DEMANDED A MRI AND THE REULTS SHOW I HAVE A 7MM CHIARI MALFORMATION ALONG WOTH SCOLIOSIS! WHEN MY DOCTOR GAVE ME THE RESULTS HE THEN PROCEEDED TO TELL ME BUT THIS DOSNT CAUSE SYMPTOMS I INSTANTLY GOT PISSED AND DEMANDED MY MRI REPORT I CAME HOME I LOOKED UP THIS DISORDER ONLY TO FIND THAT EVEYTHING I HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING OF FOR YEARS ON END WERE FROM THIS I THEN SWITCHED MY DOCTOR IMEDIATELEY!!!!!

im glad to hear you have found relief,but would highly recomend winging yourself off the methadone...ive saw it ruin lives firsthand,my mom has been on it for like 20 years and to me it starts as a government induced high then just takes over your life...best of luck

Hey guys,

I'm on the same page with all of you. I'm only 18 and these headaches started about a week or two ago. I'm in my first year of college so I first thought it was a result of tension or stress, but it seems not be seeing I don't have that much stress since its only my first year. I do exercise regularly and eat healthy. However, the headaches started out of nowhere. They're these pulsating shoots of pain that start on the lower right neck tendon and extend to the bottom of my skull. I don't have any idea of what it might be. I've tried Advil twice but no difference. I haven't went to the doctor yet, and usually never do for any type of problem. However, if it gets worse I might have to. But before I do please does anyone know how to naturally releive these types of headaches, or at least know the source? Thank you and greatly appreciated. 

I am 45 and a mother of 11 children. I am no stranger to headaches or migraines either, which run in my family, however, I am going on 13 days of a horrendous headache that started with a neck ache at the base of my skull. I thought I had pulled something in taking care of kids, but it gets worse and then better and only breifly, twice, did it give me a breather from the pain. If I hold my neck and head in  both hands and apply some pressure it feels swollen or like a sore muscle but if I turn wrong, the pain shoots straight to the other side. I can't keep talking about it to my husband who I think tires of not knowing what to do. I live on advil, sleep with a heating pad or apply heating gels and still no real relief. Does anyone have any solutions or verbage I can ask a doc about so I do not get run thru as a guinea pig and then a broke one afterwards? praying for an answer: (~Melissa

Its better to be safe than sorry.  You should really go see a doctor.  Im no expert but I have known someone with a case similar to yours and it ended up turning out bad.  You should really just make sure its nothing serious.  No amount of money is worth something terrible happening.  If not for you, than do it for your kids and your husband. I am sure they wouldn't want anything to happen to you.  I am not trying to scare you, but it really is better to make sure your are healthy so that you can prevent anything from happening.

hi,sory for whats going on with u.i also used to have it and i tried to avoid foods that can cause u gas in your stomac

and food that can cause you acidity and it works hope to work for u too

Hi, Try looking up about occipital nerve which runs up from behind your top vertibra bone on top of your spine to the back of your skull,it sounds like the nerve is being trapped.

My wife is going through the same thing but I totally understand I've tried to take to different hospitals and they just say it's from her migraines that get me so pissed because I don't feel it's from migraines.Now she has a lot of pain in back of her head and you can't even touch her head because it hurt her.But they say nothings wrong. I feel it's BS.My name is George thank you and God Bless you

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

listen mate sounds like the same problem i have doctors only think they know the problem and they are to tight to send me for a MRI or x rays the only comfort i can offer you is to do some neck stretching exercises look some up on u tube hope they work.

Hi Everyone

I used to wake up with bad headaches that appeared to originate at the base of the skull - sometimes just sitting up straight helped and a hot shower directed at he back of the neck also seemed to help but they would often just get worse and I would be forced to use painkillers or a migraine medicine called 'Naramig' (Naratriptan).

Having developed some arthritis I was given a drug called 'Arthrotec 50' (Diclofenac Sodium) which  prevents the headaches from occurring if taken before going to bed - it didn't do much for the arthritis but definitely prevents the headaches.

I believe this is ALSO known commercially as 'Voltarol' although some websites say it contains diclofenac potassium rather than sodium - I don't know if they act differently but would suspect that are similar as potassium and sodium are both alkali metals in the same group of the periodic table.

I hope this helps someone!

8 years ago I was having these same headaches but they were coinciding with peripheral vision loss. I have horrible vision to begin with so this freaked me out. I went to the optometrist several times before finally calling my family doctor in the middle of the night who insisted I come in to see him. He immediately sent me to an ophthalmologist who told me I need to go to ER immediately thereafter because the nerves behind my eyes were extremely swollen. They did a spinal tap and found out that I had a blockage in my spinal cord preventing the flow of the spinal fluid so it was backing up into my head causing the severe headaches and loss of peripheral vision. It was determined that I had pseudo tumor cerebri (look it up...many doctors are not familiar with it). Treatable for me with a diuretic that I took for 2 years. my peripheral vision came back and my headaches are gone. Some people with the same diagnosis experience much more than I did as they have had to have repeated spinal taps to drain the fluid, surgery, etc. I was lucky. Good luck to you and they will say losing weight helps also.

I agree with you about it being a Chiari thing. Especially when he said that he feels like his neck can't hold up his head. I have that too and it makes me feel like a bobblehead (big head, weak neck with no control). That is a Chiari symptom called Craniocervical Instability.