I’ve been reading some acne - related forums (I’m 17 and cannot cope with this problem - I have acne all over my face and back) and found out that sex can aggravate them. Is this true - are sex and acne really connected in this way? No way am I going to give up on sex and girls because it worsens my acne. But if it is true is there any way to ameliorate the situation?

There’s been a lot of talking and arguing about the true nature of the connection between sex and acne. Opinions differ but the latest and the most scientific researches show that sex does not aggravate them. Both have to do with hormones, especially in puberty, bur there is no cause & consequence connection. It is probably just one more misinformation about acne. The truth is that during puberty the level of sex hormones called androgens (especially testosterone) is much higher and they increase sexual desire but they also increase the production of oil called sebum. If a particular bacteria called P. acnes is present together with the excessive sebum this can lead to acne development. This is the only connection that can be established between acne and sex. So the truth is that sex doesn’t cause acne and also that acne can in no way increase your sexual desire or activity.