My brother is 26 years old and has been smoking an awful lot of cannabis. The cannabis smoking has been going on since he started university nearly six years ago, and needless to say he still has not earned his degree. What are the side effects of cannabis smoking? Does cannabis smoking damage the brain?

When I was younger, I smoked a bit of cannabis myself. But now cannabis is a lot stronger than it was in my time. And with lots more added chemicals that make cannabis more addictive and more dangerous too. Although I was ever so sceptical when they first came out with this theory, I actually do think cannabis can do you more harm than good. Cannabis makes you feel sleepy, drowsy and forgetful now. Although I think you can't actually be addicted to smoking CANNABIS, I do believe you can be addicted to the feeling of being stoned. I think cannabis might do some harm to your short term memory and concentration levels. If your brother ever wants to graduate, I think he should take to just smoking at the weekend as a recreational thing, and not all day every day.

It makes people lazy, sedetary, boring, still, forgetfull, uninteresting, disconnected, unmotivated, etc. Not exactly the best brain food for an educational setting. If you didn't already know these basics, then I have to ask exactly what rock you have been living under?

The chemical changes that take place in the brain as a smoker are mostly reverseable. MANY people, however, end up with some degree of permanant emotional instability. There is proof that THC can restructure brain activity permanatly, but he shouldn't turn into a complete id**t.