I simply love frankincense and bought a perfume containing frankincense for my girlfriend the other day. I would love to smell frankincense on my girlfriend, but she says you can't use it any more because it has side effects and can cause headaches. Now, I believe she simply doesn't like it. I would like to get to the bottom of this. Do you think frankincense can really cause a headache? If that is really true, does it cause a headache for those wearing it or for those just smelling it?

I believe her because I use essential oils topically and as aromatherapy and I diffused frankincense into the air one day for its benefits but it became so unbearably distracting, it gave me such a bad headache and I had to pull it out of the diffuser. I've used many essential oils for their aromatherapeutic benefits, and they worked like a charm. But for some reason, I get horrible headaches with frankincense. They say that since every body is different and reacts to things differently from one person to the next, like some medicines work for some people while they don't for others. Every one will not react to a scent the same way either.

Gives me horrendous headaches too :(

I am a highly spiritual person always looking to feel closer to God, and I also have found therapeutic grade frankincense essential oils to cause headaches. I still use it, especially in my daily facial serum, but a little goes a long way.

I get really bad headaches too from frankincense

Omgosh. I just started and been up all night with horrid horrid headache. Topical and inhaling... awful awful headache. Question is when does it stop?

It makes my va-jay-jay sore af......

Yes, this cause me headache and even my daughter get nausea, now I am going to try Oudh and my order in its way.

I just used it for the 1st time and have been dealing with a bad headache it feels like it brings coolness to the body and can be easily unbalancing if over used.

Anti-cancer advocates recommend Frankincense and I have been using it on my scalp and abdomen, undiluted, but sparingly. I have also been suffering with headaches for several months now, almost since I started the practice. I guess I did not want to believe it to be the culprit. But after reading all of these personal experiences, I may have come upon the answer and I'll stop using the beautiful oil and in hopes that my head pain also ceases. Thanks to all for their comments.

I get headaches when I try to use frankincense essential oils. I gave it up after one use.

I experienced my sinuses shutting up followed by a headache when I tried frankencence.

I too get nausea & a violent headache from frankincense incense. My Mother In-law slowly walks around the whole house with it to bless it. The air is so thick & the smell is so overpowering. It makes me feel so ill I have to go outside & can't return until it has dissipated.

The stuff is absolutely horrid, hate the smell and the terrible headaches that it so "joyfully" brings. My mother burns the stuff constantly every night, so much to the point, I can't bloody breath. Nor can I sleep because it feels like Jason Vorhees is pounding at my skull with a pickaxe. She claims it's for religious reasons....but I'm sorry...if it's making others feel ill and putting their health at risk....its garbage.

I just applied frankincense topically for the first time and have been dealing with a horrible headache all night. Thought I’d Google to find out if I’m the only one — apparently not.