I have a serious bacterial infection in my mouth, and my dentist prescribed me an antibiotic I have never heard about before. It is called vancomycin and I am about to tae my first dosage. Because this is a drug that I am not familiar with, I am somewhat anxious about the side effects. Can anyone inform me what the possible side effects are (none, I hope!)?

Hi, I know your post is old but I just saw it. How did you do on the Vancomycin? I wish I could have seen this when you posted a year ago. I hope you did OK with it.
I had it via IV before a sigmoidoscopy. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and need an antibiotic before any medical or dental procedures. I had never heard of it either. But when it hit my system, I felt like I had fireants or bees stinging all over me. I tore my gown off my neck abd upper body. I remember being crazy and yelling to make them stop and to get them off me. They gave me a shot to stop the burning and one to calm me down I think.. My skin looked like I had been scalded. Then the doctor YELLED at me because I didn't tell him I was allergic. I told him "I told you I had never heard of it before, how could I know I was allergic?"