I first experienced, what i believe to be temp paralysis in my teens, always in bed whilst drifting into sleep or coming round from sleep. what happens is you actually feel a sensation which intensifies as your body grows limp, you con not move your entire body nor make any sound. You remain 100% aware of your surroundig, as you fight to call out for help while trying to move any body part. I am in my early forties now and still experience this but not often. Now my daughter, in her teens has started having this experience. I am WORRIED. Seems as though it might be hereditary. Please help.

its not a hereditary , it happens to lots of people excpecally in the teen years. Its normal, usually means your daugther is having iregular sleep patterns, so i would sugest you have her go to bed the same time all the time... it helped me out.

It is some SCARY stuff. It happened to me several times as a teenager and I will never, ever forget it. I'm now 35 and haven't experienced it since the age of 19 or 20. I am in no way religious but am spiritual and very open minded. However, I don't think this is simply a matter of being in between sleep patterns. There is a common theme amongst anyone who has experienced it which involves a sense of impending doom. I even remember hearing approaching footsteps once. If this were simply a transient sleep state then why doesn't anyone enjoy it or have pleasant thoughts????