So over the course of the last few months, maybe the last year, my girlfriend's slowly been losing her appetite.  I haven't noticed until now because we live some distance apart, and she's only recently told me.  She's turning 18 in January, and she's kept fairly busy by her college course, so I figure it might jsut be stress.  But it's been such a gradual decline, so much so that I never even noticed.

She cooks her own meals, so she only eats when she's hungry.  She also does her own food shopping, so it can't be that she's being given food when not hungry or being given food she dislikes.  Sometimes she'll go a whole day without food, and when she does eat, she never finished a meal.  Sometimes she won't eat more than half, saying she's full of feeling sickly.

These two issues seem to be nutrition related, which is why I've put the topic here.  It jsut felt best suited.  She does have two more problems which I'll post about, and while neither are food related, I feel they might help any knowledgable reader shed some light on her situation.

The first issue's exhaustion - She's always sleepy.  The girl's slept from 5 hours to 14 and every amount inbetween, and every time she's still sleepy.  She doesn't fall asleep in class or anything like that, but it's a constant thing.

The second issue's how cold she always claims to be.  I can say from experience that she's like a small portable heater - She's always toasty to the touch.  But she always complains about the cold.  Winter's on its way here in Britain, but even wrapped in 4 or 5 layers she's cold - I've given serious thought to the fact she might be cold blooded...

Though on a serious note, and back to the innitial two problems, her lack of appetite's really becoming a concern for her, and she's thought of visiting her doctors or looking online for answers.  I figured I should give a helping hand, like any good boyfriend should, and see if I can't find any answers online.

It's half one in the morning here in Britain, so I'll be checking this post tomorrow.  I'd be incredibly greatful if anyone can think of what this might be, be it simple stress (In which case I'll have a gander at the "Dealing With Stress" part of the site), or if it could be some odd or potential serious illness...

Thanks in advance!!!

I believe that your girlfriend's problem is stress. I believe that what you told me matches all this. 

Common effects of stress

...... On your body

• Headache
  • Muscle tension or pain
  • Chest pain
  • Fatigue
  • Change in sex drive
  • Stomach upset
  • Sleep problems

... On your mood

• Anxiety
  • Restlessness
  • Lack of motivation or focus
  • Irritability or anger
  • Sadness or depression

... On your behavior

• Overeating or undereating
  • Angry outbursts
  • Drug or alcohol abuse
  • Tobacco use
  • Social withdrawal

Hi Uthly it's very nice of you to take care of your girl by asking here. I'm not a doc, in fact I think I can speak more freely because I'm not - without a fear I'd lose a licence from the evil big pharma etc. What I think is that your girl is doing a great thing to be buying and preparing her own food as there's too much hidden, under-reported, unlabeled toxins, not to mention GMOs. I would advise she stops consuming anything that even remotely may be a GMO (soy, corn, canola oil, alfa alfa) as the consequences of these foods on human flora gut are only explored now as those consuming them basically are a self volunteering rats. Feeling sickly and full seem to point that she had probably grew up on some seriously processed foods and/or that she'd had IBS since she was a child. With these under the belt it's easy to always be sleepy or tired. However being sleepy tired and always cold, or colder than most in the same room definitely fits the LOW THYROID, or HYPOTHYROID which is more common for woman. While she seems a bit too young for thyroid under-activity it could be that she had acquired some radiation somewhere, or had eating some imported radioactive foods - which today you never know what you get from imported cans, so again, it's a great thing she buys her own fresh food. One word about hypothyroid though - the results can show normal on blood test - FOR YEARS - even though the symptoms may be present for years. I'm not advocating she should get a thyroid hormone treatment yet but I do recommend the juicing, at least %40 raw foods, lightly cooked cruceferous veggies, and in general I would recommend boiling veggies in it's own water, not adding water to the veggies. Rosting the veggies is also a great way to preserver all the vitamins but if she wants to cook them it's best to close the lid and add none or very little water so nutrients are not thrown away with the water. Also check her cookware. Pyrex glassware is best, or stainless steal... all other teflons, aluminum & cast iron cookwares slowly but surely leach these toxic metals. Also ask whether she has any nickel tooth crowns as those are not bio-compatible and may be intoxicating her daily. Also some tooth sealants contain phthalates which are also toxic. This also reminds me, drinking liquids from plastics is no better, BPA, phthalates and other toxins are everywhere - check the bottom of the plastic container to see what category the plastic is... and then google. Lastly her tap-water may be full of impurities and good ole controversial Fluoride - so maybe a decent water filter like Berkeley gravity may help. Sorry long answer but I hope some of the above may help.