I am a 52 year old woman, post menopausal for 3 years now. Five days ago I woke up in the morning with sore, red, erect nipples. The areola feels tight and a little sore, like the nipple is pulling the areola flesh. I'd gone to bed wearing a slightly rough-textured cotton shirt and no bra. When I woke up the next morning my nipples were this way. I attributed it to the shirt, but now I'm not so sure. It became a little worse instead of better. Last night I put a little Neosporin on them and this morning they are less red, swollen and angry,...but the symptoms are not gone completely. I'm beginning to get scared. What are the possible things this could come from? What could this be?

I am 54 and experiencing the same thing as the 52 year old that posted on 10/17/07. There was no reply on her message. I don't think mine are swollen like hers were,as I have large nipples anyway, just sooo tender. Like her, I just woke up one morning to this. Mine definitely didn't come from anything rough textured. Anyone out there experience the same thing and have any answers?

I am also 52 and post menopausal for 4 years. Just recently experiencing the same symptoms - sore, red, hard nipples. Very tender to the touch. Read on another website that natural topical progesterone cream might help as problem could be caused by too much estrogen, though I never been on any type of HRT. I will probably check with my doctor if this continues.

I'm a 56-year old woman and I'm postmenopausal by three years. I've had extremely tender and swollen nipples for five days now. I had a mammogram (and, I guess, if there's such a thing--a nipplegram--i.e. they truly paid close attention to them). Those tests revealed nothing. I'm not on any HRT, etc. Has anyone found out what this sympton can suggest?

I'm 54 and came off HRT, oestrogen only nine months ago.
I have the past three months had the problem of very sore hard nipples/ae also general breast soreness and enlargement.
It has'nt been all of the time it started about 5 months ago and dies down after a few weeks but then comes back after a week or so.
It's quite embarrassing as well as extremely painful.
I'd love to know what 's causing it so I can get something to stop it.
I had my last mammogram last year and everything was fine.

I can relate to the other women above. I have been searching for an answer to my question on this subject. I cannot seem to find one. I also am in my early 50's. I experienced intense ovarian pain in the last couple weeks. Then one morning, I woke up to very sore, very tender, erect and red nipples. I just had a follow up mammography from 6 months ago due to cystic findings on my original mammo. There was nothing found this time, and the cysts have disappeared. So I am assuming that I am cancer free, although quite worried now with this new series of events. Like the other few women, I just woke up one morning with sore nipples, and each day I hope the soreness will subside, but it doesnt. Its been a week now and I am getting more worried each day. Is it possible that the lack of progesterone hormone can cause this?

I am 56 and developed the exact same sore nipple problem described by the other women. It started a few years ago. Although it occasionally eases a bit, it always comes back. Doctors and mammograms cannot find anything wrong and I have been told that nipple sensitivity and tenderness accompanied with nipple erection and redness is just something that occurs in some postmenopausal women. Two days ago my right nipple suddenly became much more sore than it has been for no apparent reason and I found this online discussion while searching for an answer. Will this problem ever go away? Can anything be done to treat it? My right nipple now feels like it has glass shards in it.

I'm 55 and post surgical menopause 4 years now. I was using HRT femring for a year and didn't have this problem. About 9 months ago, I switched to a patch, because the femring is so hard for me to remove. Since the switch, my nipples have been killing me. I see my dr. in March. She is head of women's medicine at Cleveland Clinic, so maybe I'll be able to post some answers soon. In the meantime, hydro-cortisone cream seems to help with the itching and redness. Hope I get help with the extreme soreness.

To mjane55, please post the dr. answer.You are not alone

I am 52 and experiencing these symptoms too, guess its just part of the process we women to through......we are warriors, we can prevail.....I wear loose light shirts and wait for it to go away

I know this sounds weird, but I'm having the same symptoms, and thought I had an infection. I misted my nipples with 91% alcohol, and the pain, redness and swelling went away. Much better. I continue when I have flare-ups. The alcohol is cooling, and immediately reduces the redness and 'hard' nipple. Just what I found works. I'm 57 and 3 years into menopause.

I am 55, and post menopausal, and since the holidays, I have had swollen tender nipples. Having researched around a bit, I am wondering if it could have anything to do with exposure to endocrine disruptors in food. My husband retired some years back, before I went into menopause, and when he did, we pretty much stopped eating out, eating fast food, and eating take-away. He prefers that we make all our food from scratch, including even many condiments, all our bread and baked goods. So throughout menopause to present, I've had very little exposure to things like flavour additives and preservatives, which are said to be endocrine disruptors (substances that disrupt normal hormonal functioning in the body). Over the holidays, however, I did eat some foods that were probably commercially processed, more than I'd normally eat in a whole year. I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Hi Joyful Christine - i was wondering the same thing as you. I ate some very healthy food in my case, I am working with a Nuttrtionist and on the same day I had a very healthy shake (lots of veggies and Flax) I started getting the most incredible pain/sensitivity on my right nipple. I am so glad that this forum is here, I though I was going crazy!! I have had this for one week now, I have tried neo sporin, burts bees, and even tea bags but no releif. i am going to try the alcholol and see if it helps. Anyone else have any otehr ides?? It seems like this is pretty common for us in our 50's. I never even heard of this until it has happened to me. Help!!

Ladies, I, too, am experiencing the same thing as all of you.  I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one and it's not my imagination!!  I'm 56 and post-menopausal for 10 years now.  SUDDENLY, about 2 weeks ago I woke up with sore/tender nipples.  Even my breasts feel sore.  Have any of you gotten relief or any answers to the cause & solution to this?

My goodness I now find I'm not alone! I'm 60, post menopausal for about 8 years now & have had this problem it seems forever! I've tried Evening Primrose oil, Vitamin E, every topical known to man, Ice, heat, peppermint essential oil, lymph drainage massage, I'm on bio-identical hormones that have been adjusted every which way but loose & I still suffer horribly. I wear my bras very tight & sometimes up to 2 camisoles to keep from having anything rubbing. Doctors seem puzzled & I've researched everything online I know to look at. I did just find that finding & working on the trigger points on my breasts & in the armpit region are reallly helping the overall breast soreness but the nipple pain is sometimes excruciating. I hope someone comes up with an answer for all of us but in the meantime I'm bring out the alcohol.