I have had a sore throat now for over a month. it isn't always bad but sometimes it really hurts.
I have been to my local doctors and they have given me a spray to use when it hurts but even this does not make any difference. They also took a throat swab and this has come back normal but surely it's not normal for it to hurt this much and for so long!?
What could it be?

As this is the time for pollen allergies, I would firstly ask you if you have noticed any troubles with sinuses as well? If you have a runny nose as well, I would suggest to go see your ENT and let him examine you, maybe you will need to do the throat culture and see if the soreness of the throat is caused by some bacteria. As the inflammation of your throat is pretty persistent lasting for over a month, I believe you must see the doctor straight away. If the results show you have a strep throat, you will surely be prescribed the antibiotics and the inflammation will be solved soon. You just shouldn’t wait any longer as the treatment is necessary in your case.
I’ve had similar troubles these days, my throat is sore and I cough every now and then and at nights my nose gets stuck, my sinuses hurt occasionally, I know I am allergic to pollen and this is what is bothering me. I drink some medicines for allergy and they pretty much help.
I hope you will find the cause for your problem soon.