i went to the doctor and was just told its a throat infection but im not so sure, i have had a constant sore throat for about 2 months now, a cough for about 1 month and now i have a jaw ache plus ear ache. my throat is so painful i am really worrying but i dont want to go back to the doctor as he is not that friendly, please reply if any one else has had these symptoms and tell me what it is?

I have these symptoms too and keep putting off going to the doctor b/c I'm scared of what it might be.....But I'm calling tomm and making an appt.

omg ive had that same preoblem aswell just a slight to moderate sore throat that comes and goes ive been to the docters twice first he gave me ant_biotics didnt work and he said ive got a meaty tonsil yeah that helps i went back again to different doctor to be told its a secondery infection just keep taking paracetamol what aload of rubbish didnt work its been 4 months now and its stil givin me probs what i do notice thought that in back of my thorat i notice small red lumps that come and go and my throat seems to be worse in the heat im going again to the doctoers tommorow im 17 yrs old and do not smoke!!! or drink

having done more searches on google somebody had a sore throat for about 6 months and the docter gave the person something apparently what was casuing it was a back up of allergies? but i dont have any?

hmmm you know this sorethroat started about 2 months after i started my furniture crafts course so witch means im around wood dust and stuff even thouhg i wear a mask when i sand

ive also noticed on the forum ppl have only found 1 0r 2 solutions witch are totaly useless the posts keep dying out

I also have sore throat for 2months now and suffering from cough and hyperventilation. Maybe it has something to do with my occupation ( teacher)... or due to my 'other illness..'
Visit your doctor.
God bless you...

i feel the same way my throat is killing me and its been a week now, ur prollly better now since its been awhile.

Seriously, my throat has been causing me grief for over a couple of uears with a cought hat has lasted the entire time I have been with my wife (10 yrs). Had the same rough cough whne I was a child and my mom thought I was dying. Tests showed nothing.
Keep in mind that before the modern medicine quacks began doing there horrible job at killing us, people who worked outside or under streneuos and stressful activities ate a throat lsenge throughout the day, or drank vinegar, gargled salt water, etc....
We ingest enough poisons and so little nourishment with our food these days as to severely limit our health from being on the better side.
Let's stop whining and thinking we are dying when we are not.
We will be alright. We will be alright, We will be alright.....

If not, I guess we will die in a year or so. Wait! My severely sore throat and horrible cough have been carried in this stressed out, over-worked (construction) body for may many years and I am no worst off for it.

For the last month I have been fighting these flu like symptoms; sore throat, uncontrollable cough, low grade fever (99.9-100.0 degrees) and have seen several different Dr.'s! The only problem is........is that both Dr's have put me on antibiotics and they just don't work! Does anyone else have these symtoms that just won't seem to go away? If so, please respond! I need to get back to work!

OK, I HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS "NEWBIE" DOES. I THOUGHT IVE BEEN SMOKING TOO MUCH. PAIN IS SO BAD SOMETIMES. I DONT WANT TO SEE A DR. AS I AM SCARED TO HEAR THE WORDS-----THROAT CANCER. SINCE SEVERAL HERE ARE EXPERIENCING THE SAME ISSUE, MUST BE VIRAL. MITE AS WELL GO IN AND HEAR THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I JUST CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!! >:(

Man this is crazy I've had a sore throat for about a month and a half to two months. It feels like the air is cold when I breath in and my throat is raw. The pain switches from one side of my throat to the other on occasions but it mostly seems to be on the right side where my tonsil has become a little swollen. I've been getting my wisdom teeth in for awhile now and I'm wondering if they are the cause. The doctor gave me antibiotics a few days ago and so far nothing is changing. It's so damn irritating!!!!

I had a sore throat for a year and a half. I visited 3 doctors, they gave me antibiotics, even there was no infection. Of course they didn't help.They ENT sent me to gastrointerologyst, cause he said it might be GERD, but it wasn't the cause. I started to read books, search the internet and pray to GOD.
Finally I realized that it was post nasal drip they made me be in constant pain and GOD helped me to find the cure, the cure was the saline wash for the nose.(saltaire sinus relief) u can find it in Duane reade. Hope this post can help someone.

I have a similar problem.. about 4 months ago I developed a mild but persistent sore throat with red lumpy inflammation on the hard pallet (I had my tonsils removed a few years ago due to tonsillitis that I couldn't get rid of), also I have swollen glands, regular headaches and feel tired more often than normal. I had strange ear pain in my left ear one evening then my right ear a few days later but this has not re-occured. On the first visit to the doctor 2 weeks after I first developed the sore throat I was told it was just an infection and not to worry (nothing prescribed). On 2nd doctors visit (last week) I was prescribed penicillin but was advised to only take it if I started to feel worse, also had blood tests (results = not glandular fever, liver and kidney function ok). My doctor suggested it may also be a vitimin deficency (this could be so as I had a bad few months eating wise due to end of uni stress) OR it could be an allergy (I'm not convinced of this as I have a distinct lack of sneezing, itchy/tickle in mouth, runny nose, itchy eyes etc..). Anyway I'm going to give the penicillin a go. I'll report back.x

I've had these types of sore throat off and on for over a year. i had my tonsils removed when i was little and don't usually get sore throat unless from sinus infections. but i was having sore throat, headache, ear's hurt and i felt miserable. come to find out i had an infected tooth that needed removed. the tooth never did hurt. dentist pulled the tooth gave me some antibiotics and have been fine ever since. hope this helps
;-)

i have had the same symptoms of all of you but over about 3 months....i finally went to the doctors and she said i had chronic bronchitis, strep, and a sinus infection....along with you all's symptoms i had swollen glands (already had my tonsils out at 22yr), earache and shooting pain up my throat...throat felt like i had sores further down my throat...i am a smoker too and was afraid to hear throat cancer...so i was given 2000 mg of amoxicillin a day for 10 days...now that i am finished...the sore throat is back and just as severe...i am going back to the doctors wednesday...hope we find out what it is...

Hi, folks.

What this sounds like to me, is that most of you had infections in or around the throat. An ear ache or loss of balance and even pain in the jaw can happen from imflamation from a throat infection.

One thing that it helps to remember, regardless of whatever your issue is, is that you *need* to understand the interdisciplinary nature of health and medicine.

I type this as I'm coughing heavily, with a throat infection, which occured the same week I started to deviate from my diet. I'm usually wheat-free and dairy-free, but I slipped and started eating cookies and chocolates and jelly beans and such. I also happened to stop taking my vitamin D pills that week.

I'm taking the vitamin D again and I'm back on my diet. It's the paleolithic diet, have a look here:
http://nerdheaven.dk/~jevk/paleo_intro.php

I really feel that your diet has a huge affect on your immune system, especially considering the addictive properties of gluten (in wheat, an opiate) and casein (in dairy, a substance which because casomorphin, similar to morphine).

My views are fringe in that regard, but nobody doubts that vitamin D plays a huge role in the immune system and in general health. If you're unable to get out in the sun, take upwards of 2000IU daily (note - those tiny tablets and what's in your multivitamin is no more than 400IU). Twenty minutes out in the sun nets you 10000IU (after which the body will stop producing it - well, it's still produced, but it degrades quickly and doesn't remain in any capacity).

Now, back to the throat stuff. If you're coughing up yellow, green, or brown mucus, it's a sign of infection, and your body's fight against it. It's a buildup of dead cells. The color does not determine whether you have a bacterial or a viral infection, but brown mucus does indicate the presence of blood. Nothing to be alarmed about - not terribly uncommon.

When the infection is gone, the inflamation will still remain to some degree, probably. You also have a very high chance of reinfecting yourself and prolonging the inflamation - change your sheets, wash your bedclothes otherwise, clean out your keyboard, etc. Practice good hygiene and wash hands before eating and all those things I'm sure you heard in grammar school. If dust bothers you, pay somebody else to do the dusting, and open some windows.

Another cause of sore throats, especially in the winter months, is allergic rhinitis. I understand it like this: you get over an infection but your allergies make it difficult to recover from the inflamation. Again, clean your place up. If symptoms don't improve within a week, go see an allergist. Your general practitioner can refer you to one.

Finally, there are some home remedies. There are some folks here:
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/sore_throat.html
who swear by gargling with cayenne pepper. I wouldn't recommend it.

My mother drinks tea with lemon and honey in it to resolve hers. I'll try that one tonight. Any honey is a natural antiseptic (and that's not quackery, it's scientifically backed). Raw honey is supposedly even more potent (that might be quackery, I haven't seen any studies.