Hi everyone, I am 35 and am scheduled to have a tonsilectomy on Nov 14th and have had a sore throat for the past 4-5 days. I know that it's only viral and not a true tonsillitis from strep, but will they cancel my surgery b/c of it? I'm hoping that when I wake up tomorrow morning the sore throat is gone, I don't want to postpone this. I have 3 small children and have childcare all lined up for 10 days and it will not be easy to do it all over again.

Also, what kind of items do you recommend having at home for the post-op period? I've been reading lots of posts and so far will be getting lots of things, is there anything I'm missing? Here goes...

gum, ice packs, heating pad, saline nasal spray, applesauce, high-protein drink such as boost or ensure or something like that, mashed potatoes, popsicles, ice cream

Thanks for any info you can give!

I am on Day 8. Gatorade is good the first few days too. For me ice cream is too senstive, but ice pops are okay. Scrambled eggs/Applesauce/Shakes. TYLENOL EXTRA STRENGTH liquid if you have a temp also the pain meds are just as imporant (and you will need them).
I has also had my deviated septum done and the same time. I had alot of headaches( drink lots of H2O room temp) and pain in the ear. Good luck.
The pain does suck, but remember its not for-ever. Well that is what I tell myself when i have a bad day/night.

There's always room for JELLO! I like to get the snack pack size in a variety of flavors.

Did any of you drink your morning cup of coffee? I LOVE my one cup of coffee each morning, if it's cooled down to room temperature, will I be able to drink it? Am I being too hopeful?

It will be interesting to see how my husband handles the kids during this, he's taken off work for this. I hope after this he has a little more understanding of what I actually do around here that he just doesn't seem to get! LOL, aren't they all the same!

I called my ENT office yesterday and they put me on amoxicillin just in case the sore throat is strep, so I'm almost 100% sure I'll be getting this surgery over with on Wednesday. I'm so glad to get it done and move on -- to not be bothered by these huge golf balls in my throat anymore.

I actually told my boyfriend this morning today is the first day I miss coffee. Funny that you wrote that. My stomach is not doing that great so I think having coffee would put my body in shock. Not sure how much weight I have loss. It couldn't hurt to loose 10lbs. I have to go back to work on Monday I have no idea how that is going to roll esp. what I do for a living.
I can't really see what it looks like back there so I took a flash light. OH MY the uvla is so swollen and where my tonsils were don't even look like a scab is going to form. I showed my b/f and got sympathy look. Today is day number 9 post-op and I think people assume that you are going to bounce back. Have your'e husband take good care of you. It funny how the laundry piles up and there idea of what clean is. XD
FYI-ICE PACKS have helped alot the past few days get a couple of those. Also Dannon light and fit smoothie is good -
It is really going to suck, but at least you will have less strep throats. I don't know if this helps what I wrote. I will keep u updated everyday is a new day.
Good Luck,
Meg

Now that you're over the 10 day mark, how are you doing? When did the scabs come off for you? How did your doctor take your out? Mine did coblation for me. I'm on day 4 now and doing ok. I've had headaches too along with the throat pain. My ears aren't bothering me too much other than I am really sensitive to sounds.

Hoping to get through the next few days OK and move on to a full recovery!

Abbey