As result of Hardy Mayers’ attorney office and their opinion, the Oregon State resumed issuing medical-marijuana cards. The Human Services Department stopped sending out the cards but continued processing applications after the Supreme Court held last week that federal authorities can prosecute marijuana possession under federal drug laws, although in Oregon is legal medical use of the drug.

Starting today, the DHS Office of Community Health and Health Planning will mail 100 to 150 cards per day until the 547 applications that the program approved since June 13 have been mailed.

Oregon has issued over 10 thousand medical marijuana cards, the vast majority of them for severe pain, cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, or persistent muscle spasms where the patient may benefit from the use of medical marijuana.

Please replay with your comments about this article and participate in this poll!

I am here to tell you that marijuana is extremely addictive. I live in Oregon, moving here specifcally because the marijuana is so good here. I am 46 years old, been smoking daily since age 14. I have never taken any other substance. I have never gone more than 60 days in my adult life not smoking pot, and most of the time it is morning bong hit upon waking up, and then smoking every 2 hours or so, to late night bong hit just before bed. I have suffered financially, economically, psychologically, and emotionally over this very disgusting substance. I have episodes of chronic coughing and choking. I have now not smoked for 22 days and still have feelings of severe depression, anxiety, pain, and the feeling that life is just not worth living. anyone telling you marijuana is harmless is in total denial of the truth. hopefully, i will get back to a good and effective, drug free state of mind soon. peace

I am here to tell you that ray10222 probably has a seriously addictive personality and has been plagued by extreme depression all his life (from the looks of it). I live in Oregon too, but unlike the above loser i was born and raised. I am 31 years old, waited to smoke until i was 18. I admit to using caffeine, drinking accasionaly, and take tylenol once in a while for head aches. Oh yea and i also love smoking pot (for recreational purposes, not as a crutch). No sh!t this guy feels a little dense, hes been blowing his brains out for the last 32 years smoking insane amount of chronic. Learn the PROVEN scientific evidence here drugwarfacts.org/marijuan.txt!!!!!

Hi!
I have nerve pain from Lymes Disease and I have been on pain killers that really only help half-way. These are the pain meds in the opiate family--so very addictive and on narcotics as supplemental, when needed, as well >:( .
I have just tried smoking for the first time tonight and my intense pain is alleviated almost entirely. Now this is a miracle, an absolute miracle 8) , as long as it keeps working. I'm in my forties and want to say that the pain meds that are prescribed for chronic, more than severe are so addicting and awful for your health that marijuana could not even come close to being as bad. And . . . I deserve (as others do) to live a, relatively, pain free life. Unless one has been "there" (in chronic and severe, severe pain) one does not have a clue to judge this medicine as "bad" and "in moral". I realize it's not for everyone and that everyone has a right to their own opinions--I just want mine to be taken seriously too!
By the way, before I got Lymes from a tick approx. 12 years ago, I was not on a single medicine or any illegal drugs, nor marijuana, no alcohol.
Now I'm on morphine and a lot of other meds and the Dr. just switched me to Fentanyl Patches--all opiates--I'm really addicted and will need to enter treatment to get help to get off the opiates. That is, if the medical marijuana works, but addiction treatment would be worth it to help me get off these prescription addictive drugs! Perhaps I can get my life back--(that's all I want) instead of using it as a crutch as the first person talks about :O .
P.S. I also have worked with teenagers who have had psychotic breaks from smoking--this is when their brains are forming and for most teenagers it's no big deal. However, if a teenager has a sensitive brain and is very observant of all around him or her, this could be dangerous.
It happened to a teenager that was a relative of mine, so I know closely how devastating this can be. So . . . please pass this along and let sensitive teenagers (and all teenager) that this is something they should be aware of. If they start having hallucinations, they should stay far and clear of smoking and stop that very minute they see, hear, or feel hallucinations-- :'( It's a nightmare to live with psychosis!
Anyhow, with all that said, ! wish me luck in getting a medical marijuana card and being pain free-and perhaps the pain might be lessened enough to where I could eat once a day-not too much to ask for, huh?
The best to all!