Hello.

I am a 26 year old Female. For the past 10 years, I have been experiencing a dull tight pain in my stomach, right in the middle and when I try to take a deep breathe I cannot fulfill it. I burp and yawn constantly. This then causes me to have anxiety. I thought I was getting panic attacks , but the main symptoms are not being able to fulfill a deep breathe and stomach tightness??? I have no clue what it could be, but I cannot live like this anymore. I cannot go out with my friends cause I get so nervous that I cannot breathe. I have had several endoscopys and a Upper GI back in 2004 - 2005, but nothing!!! Someone help me!!!!!

i am a 36 yr old male and have suffered the same symptoms as you since i was a kid. Every time i eat, my stomach gets bloated which makes it hard to get a deep breath. it feels as if i am overheated when in reality i'm not. these symptoms get worse when i am in a restaurant which is warm inside or when i am in a warm room after i eat.
i have gone to the doctor and have had test taken but the results are always negative. sometimes it feels as if my bloated stomach is squeezing my organs and that is what is causing the uncomfortable sensation that casues me to have what feels like a panic attack. It has gotten to the point that when i go out with friends and family i do not eat and rarely do i drink liquids unless i am at home.
I also do not have answers for what is causing this. sometimes i think it all in my head.

So, you're looking for a cure for a tight stomach and breathlessness. Those two symptoms together can be caused by a wide range of different medical conditions, ranging from COPD to ascites, from gallstones to hernia, from celiac disease to irritable bowel syndrome, and in women, also anything gynecology related like ovarian cysts, cancer, or an ectopic pregnancy. (Of course, the fact that you have had it for 10 years rules some of these out.)

You must be incredibly, incredibly frustrated by now. I don't have any advice beyond to keep looking for a diagnosis, but I'm so sorry you've been going through this. 

To the original poster, i have the same problem!! Stomach feels tight and/or so full of air that i cant take a deep breathe... then i get scared and start open-mouth breathing... gasping at times... can hardly talk because im trying so hard to breathe.... I already knoiw I have GERD and Gastroparesis (Stomach disorder) and get bouts of gastritits....

I am seeing my gastro doctor tomorrow because like u, I cant live like this, i am at the point where i am in bed all weekend (this weekend) and getting afraid to go to work out of fear i will have another breathing episode. I left work early Friday to go to the ER... ER did blood, urine and chest x ray and they said all was fine, i looked "good on paper." And they sent me home. THe only thing that helped this was taking 1 mg. of klonopin (mild tranquilier and anti-anxiety medication).

I am lving in fear now and the suffering is pretty bad. I feel like i have to fight to get a deep breathe and even then, i cant get one. I admit i have a history of anixety disorders but i dont like to tell a doctor that cuz i will be immediately dismissed.

I am surprised your endscopy and upper GI series showed nothing.... i GUESS this can be anxiety... i hate to say anxiedty because it sounds like "oh, JUST anxiety" when really the suffering from this is incredible.. I am afraid i will have to give up my job and i hate the idea of taking anti anxiety med just to be able to breathe. Something is triggering this to happen, it isnt "just happening."

this is really a hard health situation. i have been thru this for many years but this year is the worst. i could hardly breath esp. after eating. i can't eat normally because of difficulty swallowing and a feeling of fullness in my stomach that causes digestion & breathing difficulty. i don't enjoy eating anymore and i always avoid parties or invitations from my relatives and friends to go out because of my fear that i may have difficulty breathing again after eating. i can't even talk to them bec. im having breathing difficulty when talking. i keep on resigning from my works bec of this health hazard. i am afraid that i might not be able to manage my attack while at work or in any public place, so i just always stay in my room and just lie on the bed most of the time. i have been to many doctors and they can't clearly figure out the cause. some of their suspects are gerd, anxiety depression, allergy, myasthenia gravis, and a pinched nerve. i've been brought to the emergency room for many times due to difficulty breathing and muscle tightness esp in the abdominal area ( feels like there is a very tight girdle that restricts my breathing muscles to move). hydrocortisone relieves me but feels so tired after the drug was administered. i think it's the side effect. for now, i don't have a clear remedy yet to my illness since the cause is not clear too. i just put my trust in God who alone knows what is really happening in my body. He is my Maker and Healer. Don't stop praying to God even if it seems that you're not getting better yet. Keep on praying and keep trusting. Sometimes God allows theses sufferings bec. He wants us to completely depend on him. Doctors & medicines can fail us, but God is a sure Healer if we abide in Him. Be of good courage!

hi im new on here ok im from Texas n Houston ,an i am 20 years old young man and im to young for these kinda stuff to happen to me , i am having trouble breathing wen i eat and wen i get to hot an wen im at work. and this really sucks cause i dont wana go out with friends or go out any were cause i think it will happen when im somewhere els besides my home. and im so young and im scared , i had blood work done and nothing showed up and i did a chest x-ray and nothing and the doctor gave me some anxiety medication and im afraid to take it cause i dont wana have the problem and then i cant breathe well with the medication . and i do have panic attacks some times . and i get light headed most of the time and arms feel week and feet fall asleep an hands fall a sleep , and wen i have my panic attacks my heart races fast and it scares me. and they say i have Asama but i dont think i do be cause wen i eat i cant breathe right and the doctor said to take the inhaler but wen i do it give's me a panic attack . is their any body that can tell me what to do i dont wana go threw life like this i wana be able to do stuff like i use to do when i was n high school . please any body that can help me out anyone ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

yes i get the same thing now. i have the breathing problem with taking a deep breath. I had i t this morning so bad on my way to a job i had to turn around and come home. It is really strange at the same time i have this my mouth gets really dry and my nose is stuffed up. This even makes it harder to breath. Then the inevitable panic attack follows.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday. I want a chest x ray and a stomach x ray to see what it could be.

I cant function like this anymore.

I wonder if this could all be brought on from allergies.

I have the exact same problem as everyone else. I had barium X-rays done, chest x-rays, and an endoscopy and I too was told that it was just anxiety. It's weird because I breathe better sometimes than others, but it's still not like I used to.

I've had this for more than a month now and I lost about 40 lbs. from not eating right. I feel like my breathing gets worse when I eat or drink. I look all pale and a bit too skinny for being 6' tall.

I've gone to the ER about 3 times because of this. I once almost passed out because I was hyperventilating. I can't walk fast or far without feeling like I'm going to die. I stopped working and going to school because of it. I'm only 24.

I'm going to go back to the doctor and ask her to recommend me to a pulmonologist. I've also read about heart problems than can cause this so I'm going to ask my doctor to send me to a cardiologist.

Has anyone fixed this problem.

Thanks

Hello
I know you all not going to like my answer. However, no matter what test you do no one will find anything, physically, wrong. The problem is nerves, anxiety, fear, stress, all that stuff. I say that because I live it and I have been watching meself, because no one could help me. Do what ever it takes to control yor nerves, your setuational stress. Use Chamomil tea, excercise, get help from your doctor for medicin that will help you relax. The problem will slowly go a way. And don't worry, it will not kill you. You just need to figure out a way to relax and that is all. Use foods that calm you down, herbs, doctor can give you some drugs to get you started. I am working on it myself. Best luck to all !!!

I have a similar problem. I get a tightness in my throat and upper chest, making it feel difficult to get a satisfying breath. Breathing is strained and I feel like I cannot get enough air in. It feels like something in my chest is knotting up and squeezing me. Sometimes the tightness comes on in a wave through my chest. I get this everyday at work as well. It gets worse as the day progresses.

Earlier this year I went to my doctor and had many tests:

- EKG
- Echocardiogram
- Stress test with imaging
- a pulmonary function test
- Chest xray
- Sonogram of my lower body
- Scope of upper throat
- Blood tests

The only thing found was a slight irritation below my vocal cord which the doctor said was from GERD, but that it would not cause a breathing problem. Basically, there was no answer. I did go to a chiropractor who claimed it was from bad posture - I have mild scoliosis and bad posture from working at the computer all day. However, I gave up the chiro treatment because I didn't like how it felt. So I think this is from 1 or more of the following reasons:

1.) Stress & Anxiety
2.) Bad posture from computer use
3.) Reflux

Like others have mentioned, these symptoms have greatly limited my life recently. I don't like to go out to eat at work because it gets hard to swallow sometimes, and I feel like I can't breathe, and when I talk I am completely out of breath.

Right now I am trying to look for a way to relax. I am trying aerobic exercise because I am really out of shape and out of breath a lot.

Does everyone on this thread use the computer 8+ hours a day? Perhaps we can find a common cause for this problem.

I'm on the computer all day and I have a lot of the same stuff.... right now i have this weird feeling like in the top of my chest sort of when I breathe and etc like I cannot take a full breath... Its almost like somethings like suffocating me and its scary... and NO its not panic. I'm exhausted and getting ready to go to bed panic is impossible. Any ideas?

I have had similar problems/symptoms and recently tried acupuncture and Chinese medicine. Had my first treatment yesterday and can already breath far better and much deeper. My stomach feels as though it has moved at least 4 inches down and is no longer up in my chest. I am having some mild pain now in the stomach area - kind of like muscle cramps. I am going to continue treatment as I can not believe the effects after just one visit! The needles are not painful at all. I highly recommend it!

hey

I'm 24 year old male and i too suffer from this breathing problems i cant eat rite a swell even if i dont eat eat much im still worry about my breathing 24/7 feels like im going stop breathing. I had this for about a year now and still struggling from this feeling. My doctor gave me 1mg of lorazapam and 10 mg paxil. every time i take lorazam it seems to go away but its still in my head thinking about it. I dont know what to do anymore its so hard to go out with friends i cant even drive sometimes cuz im scared i might not breathe and get into an accident or something. I hate waking in a morning cuz i think its the worse time time for me i get panicky and cant breathe im so scared already i dont what to think when im having this feeling feels like im dying.. plz help me how cope with this i cant do anything fun anymore.. thanx.

Ive been having these same problems, pretty much exactly what people have been listing but I also get it before eating not just after. I was wondering if it has something to do with a hernia or something in the diaphragm since it feels to me that it gets restricted when trying to take a deep breath. I have acid reflux and take meds for it occasionally when I need it. I tried anxiety meds but the side effects are horrific, please if anyone can shed light on this let me know!

Well I must say that I am surprised to see that so many other people are going through what I am. This is fairly new to me because it has only really progressed to this stage over the last 3 months, but the more I understand this problem to more I seem to think its more psychological than anything else (which is reinforced by doctors diagnosis). I work and live in a high pressure environment, and I know this isnt helping along with many of lifes problems. The first thing I have done is quit drinking alchohol god forbig (to help breathing through the throat easier) and caffiene my second greatest love (which stops my heart racing fast and giving me a panic attack). I have also thrown out that stupid ventilen thinkg the doctor gave me (although I don't advise this for someone who might have asthma), and I am looking at loosing weight, maintaining my exercise program and introducing yoga/meditation and swimming (yes I have a busy schedule). To be honest, this is the only way that I can see myself coping with this problem without throwing in my job, my life, and happiness. I believe that the right technique along with positive thinking will help me over come all of this. Yes its unfortunate for all of us, but it is up to us whether we overcome it. I hope this has helped someone out there...