Hi everyone,recently I have discovered a string type lump on the bottom of my left testicle. It does not feel like a ball more like a vein attached to my testicle. I've been feeling very slight discomfort in that area the last 3 days or so and wondering if anybody could help me to finding out what it could be. I don't know if me constantly thinking about it is making me feel as though its more serious than it is as it seems when I'm distracted with something else I don't feel any discomfort. I am 20 years old and like I said I've only started feel this slight discomfort and string type lump at most 3 days ago and never felt anything else previous to this. Please could someone reply ASAP to hopefully put my mind at ease, thanks

Hi Guest,

I think you've found your epididymis.  It's the tube that carries sperm from your testicles and it is NORMAL.

Have you been sexually active?  It can get infected, called epididymitis.  If it continues or worsens see a urologist.  This is their area of expertise.

Hope it helps.

Thanks medic dan, No I have not been sexually active recently that's why I've been questioning why it has appeared so suddenly. Last night I was feeling around and felt the small squishy type lump and it feels as though its behind the left testicle. Is that normal? I was planning to head upto my local doctor tomorrow morning just to get some professional opinion on what it could be. Bit embarrassed about it but has to be done. Do you think I should let my parents know or try and go to the doctors without them knowing? Because that's the more embarrassing part for me I don't really care about a doctor having a look down below

Actually feeling around thoroughly again I can feel the same soft lump behind right testicle but doesn't seem as big is the ok?

If you can feel it on both sides then it is normal. But, if you''ve never felt it before and aren't sure, you might just want to ask your doctor about it.

How about a college health center or someplace too? At 20, your doctor can't reveal any info as to why you went to the doctors but if the insurance company sends any paperwork...

I'd let your parents know. Just tell them it's a "man problem" and need to get something checked.

Just back from the doctors and its varicoceles. Doctor said if it gets really painful a small surgery will basically unknot them but other than that nothing serious and my mind is firmly at ease. I told my parents too in the end may aswell get it out in the open just in case anything did happen. Doctor knew straight away when she felt both testicles as the lumps are very soft

Hi Guest,

Thanks for the update. Basically it is swollen blood vessels.

I'm glad you told the folks too.

Hopefully they resolve on their own shortly.

Good luck.

Thanks for your time medic-dan :) last question for this subject, can the varicocele repair themselves or and I'm stuck with them unless I get this small surgery cause the rare times it is uncomfortable it is very annoying 

Many don't require treatment guest.

Think of a varicose vein in your leg, that's what they are like. If it causes problems then yes, it can be corrected surgically.