Hi, I'm 37 years old and lately I have noticed something strange on my left testicle. While I was in the shower, about a week ago, I noticed a small lump on the left testicle, it was pretty small in diameter but I still noticed it because pressing on it caused a discomfort, I felt it as a small ball on the testicle pressing into it. As always I thought it was nothing serious and I thought that it will pass, but it didn’t it got bigger, almost to the size of one quarter of my testicle and it hurts a lot now. What is this lump and what should I do about it?

There are many diseases and non-pathological causes of testicular lumps. You didn’t give any detailed description of the change so I can't give you an accurate diagnosis, all I can do is to try to give you as much information as possible about possible changes that can occur on a testicle and cause “a lump”. First and the most benign of them is called hydrocele or varicocele. This is basically a bag or a balloon of fluids that accumulates in the tissue surrounding your testicle and it is nothing dangerous, it usually disappears few days after it appears, it can be hard if there is a lot of fluid in it. The second possible cause is an infection. If you had some kind of a urinary tract infection or STD they might have left some scar tissue inside your testicle and when the infection is over these formations of scar tissue appear as small lumps. The third is testicular cancer. Since you said that the growth is increasing its size it is very possible that we are talking about testicular cancer. If early diagnosed testicular cancer is totally treatable and survival rates are very high, above 95 percent. If the change doesn’t disappear in few days I think that it would be the best for you to visit your doctor and have an examination so your doctor can determine the right diagnosis and apply the right treatment for this condition of yours. Good luck.

I found a hard lump on my tesical to and im am 12 years old and the bump seems to get bigger sometimes and then smaller i have had it for about a month and am affraid its cancer and im to embaressed to tell my mom and how long do i have to cure it if it's to late if it is cancer can someone please help me thank you contact me

Hey guys. Listen, kid, that is something normal in your age. What kind of cancer are we talking about? I mean, you are a twelve year old. You should talk to your dad and he will take care of it. I am sure that it is nothing to be afraid of. I have also had lump on testicles when I was your age but it passed on it's own. I wasn't doing anything and one day I realized that it was gone. but you should tell your parents if you are uncomfortable with it, tell it to your father and it will be okay.

Hi there my brother has also the same problem called lump on testicles and he also was very worried about this problem. He was also scared that it can be a cancer, but as he was sexually active he was scared of some sexually transmitted disease, and according to that, he decided to visit a dermatologist, who said to him that his problem is some infection that is not very dangerous. As you are only twelve years old, you are probably sexually inactive, and STD can not be your issue, so I recommend to see a doctor who can give you some useful creme

Since I'm so paranoid about cancer, My doctor told me once that if I found a bump that was about the size of a quarter, I should check in with him because it could be cancer. You said it causes discomfort to touch... I would definitely get checked.

Get yourself checked. What country are you in? If you're in the UK you should be able to see a doctor confidentially without having to tell your parents.

Things like this though - you must see a doctor as soon as possible. It's probably nothing but you have to get it checked out.

Hi there, I agree with what kingfreze has posted. You need to get this checked. You might be embarrassed to tell your mom about this but think about it--if it's cancer, would you rather die because you're too embarrassed to tell your mom something? I know that you wouldn't. Just be sure to get it checked soon, okay? Let me know how it goes.

ya i have the same thing i am 15 and i have same situation except mine doesn't get bigger its been the same size for about a week or 2 and i have told my parents they say they will take me to a doc but idk when and i want to go but my doctor is a very awekwerd person...
im really scared about it tho i told a friend that lives far away from me and me doesn't want to tell anyone anyone know how i could convince him to tell? it would help alot yo

I guess the best thing you can tell him is that it's all up to him if he wants to get better or not, but if it turns out to be cancer that the longer he waits, the worse it will be for him to wait. That's what I would tell a friend anyway. Do you know when you're going to the doctor now?

kingfreze wrote:

Guest wrote:

I agree with what youv'e said, although a lot of people who post here are not from the UK. I think that it's a good idea for him to talk to his parents to make sure that they're in the loop, even if it is embarrassing. My take on it is, well, either you can be embarrassed and possibly have cancer or you can go through it and get help from the doctor. What do you think?

bluedog wrote:

kingfreze wrote:

Guest wrote:

Yes, of course its better if you can tell your parents and get them involved, but if he's that embarrassed about it, its still important to see the doctor and maybe take it from there. Is that possible in the US. Or do you need your parents permission to see a doctor?

Not to step on bluedog's toes here but you definitely need to have your parent's permission to see a doctor, unless you're seeing a doctor for an abortion. I see the logic in it, but there are a lot of kids who are worried about telling their parents about a problem until it's too late. You don't need that in the UK?

Over here, if your over 16 you can see any doctor confidentially as a normal appointment without your parents permission. And if your under 16 there are drop in clinics that you can go to and they won't contact parents if you don't want them to. One clinics official statement is:

• You can see your doctor on your own, without your parents’ permission, even if you are under 16. As long as the doctor is sure you understand what is going on they will not contact your parents, except in extreme cases. They will always discuss this with you first.

Obviously, if they found you had cancer naturally you would have to tell your parents but I think its a good idea if your just unsure and it turns out to be nothing; saves the embarrassment. Just my opinion.

Not sure how this would work with any treatment though. I think to prescribe medicine etc. they would need parental permission, I've got nothing to back me up on that but I could see numerous legal battles over it if it isn't that way.

yeah but when i touch the bump it doesn't cause discomfort and it's not anywhere close to the size of a quarter the only reason i don't tell my parents is because i'm afraid to loose a nut haha