So about three days ago, I noticed a red spot on my upper lip where my moustache grows, to the touch it was very tender, indicative of a possible in grown hair. So I squeezed and used a pair of tweezers and pulled out the suspected hair. I also then aspirated some clear typr fluid followed by a little pus, and blood. The next day I awoke in the morning to find my upper left corner of my lip was swollen and very very tender. It looked as though I had been punched in the mouth. I again squeezed the in grown hair area and again was able to aspirate more clear fluid and pus, along with blood. Let me tell you it hurt bad! So I am now on day three and awoke again this morning worse off than I was on day two. Is it possible I have infected the area and or damaged tissue while squeezing the lip area...? Is this what the culprit of the swelling was...? It is finally starting to un-swell but very slowly, I now have this open wound on my upper lip. Any suggestions from anyone, could I have caused this swelling myself, or was it just the in grown hair that became irritated..?

Joshua,

The same exact thing happened to me three days ago. Did you get any advice? What ended up happening?

Does anyone know what up? the above statement is exactly what happen to me, my lip is swollen as if someone punched me in lips, i have feeling its ingrown hair cuz i did sense it was coming, but this morning i work up and my sh*t was big a hell, and there is no where to pop it, sh*t hurt to much anyways, i feel really stupid cuz it so noticeable will someone give advice.

The same thing has happened to me. Monday i felt it coming in. Teusday it was a whitehead and looked like a little pimple so i popped it, then later on that day it started to swell. By wedsday morning it was swollen and increased in size, so i figured i could pop it again and drain it, that didnt help. By night time it was worse and swelling. Thursday Morning (today) its 3 times its size and now its started to swell on my other half of my lip and its so pain ful. what can i do to make it better? im going to the ER later this evening .

My lip felt weird on Monday and I have a very thick mustache so I really couldn't see anything. Tuesday there was a little bump and my girlfriend found it while she was picking at my face. She propped it and it hurt like crazy. She said it was an ingrown hair. Wednesday my lip was hurting all day. I put some neosporin on it because I had to go to meeting for that night. Thursday I wake up with the right side of my lip swollen. Worst part is , my friends band that is touring is coming tonight and I was supposed to do guest vocals. Other than that, I took a vacation day today.

Unless you are seriously sick or have an injury You DO NOT go to emergency departments(ED) for something like this.  You waste the Doctors, RN's, and hospitals time and you waste resources for something like this.  go to a family doctor.  This is part of the reason the ED is always packed and it takes so long, people coming in with pointless reasons to be there.  Its called an EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT for a reason.

ok., but what if you have no family doctor, maybe you can recommend yours and I can run up a bill there... you don't know every ones struggle, keep your damn mouth shut

Same thing happening to me.  Started yesterday during work, so I began pulling out hairs in the area of the pain.  When I got home, there was a giant whitehead.  Broke it up with the tweezers and blood came with it.  I just squeezed the area again (a day later) and now my lip has already began swelling more.  I'm just going to let it heal, maybe put some kind of topical cream on it (neosporin, etc.) and do warm compresses.  The swelling will go down, or at least I hope so...

well my say on this is i popped a ingrown hair before and had to go to er then got mercer stayed in hospital 2 weeks so if your unsure go to hospital

I just came back from the dermatologist after the same thing happened to me.  It was explained that sometimes you can blow the "back" of the pore out, in the direction of the inside of the mouth, in this case, and then the area the body has to work on gets bigger.

I was prescribed an antibiotic and prednisone to take the swelling down.  After one day, it has gotten somewhat better, but I still feel there's a lot of ingrown hair in there.

I guess I will just have to suck it up and wait for this thing to heal itself.  At least I know it won't be infected, just swollen for a little while.

The dermatologist said she could cut out the ingrown hair, but said that would almost certainly leave a scar on my lip.  I think I will wait it out

I had this exact thing happen to me and i was prescribed Doxycycline and Tramadol for swelling. The two prescriptions ran me 30 bucks at rite aid (i think they were/are generic). All i can recommend, outside of the medication that did wonders for me in 3 days, is plenty of ice packs for swelling/pain. Keep your lips moisturized as i'm sure the swelling is tough your skin like it was on mine.

Hi i have the same problem and was wondering if this worked for you? I have been prescribed antibiotics and am just hoping that it will take a couple of days to see results but its still big.

Did it work..and how long did it take?

urgent care facility.............

You don't know everything. Normally when you had this condition, the doctor always wants you to be confined in the hospital otherwise take home medication and after 2 days if the swelling will not subside, they will ask you to go back and proceed to the emergency department directly.