hello i have been thinking about getting a corn surgically removed off of my baby toe. it's the only one i have and it seems to get bigger and bigger. i haven't seen a doctor yet and just wanted to know which kind of doctor to see so i would'nt have to see to many. I also would like to know what happens usually during the process and what the healing time is

Health Advisor
I myself had a few corns on my toes but I was advised to remove them on my own, which I eventually did and they never came back. I found some instructions on the internet and followed them, this method really helped and I guess it would be of use for you, I think it’s worth giving it a try before going to a surgery for this purpose.
What you need is: 6 cups of water, 1 spoon potassium chloride, 4 ounces chopped fresh celandine, 1 cup of glycerin.
Put the water in a saucepan and add potassium chloride, then heat and stir until it dissolves. When you remove it from the heat, add celandine and leave 2 hours. Then return to the heat and make it boil again, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a sieve, strain the liquid into the bowl and discard the plant material. Return the liquid to the pan and let it simmer until it’s reduced to 11Z2 cups. Then add the glycerin and continue simmering until the liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Strain the liquid and pour it to the bottle, then keep it at a cold place.
You should apply this to the corns twice a day, it should be effective as it made my corns go away.

Is there anyway you could tell me exactly where you got the directions for the corn removal process. The directions are sort of hard to understand.

the instructions using potassium chloride and celandine for corn removal seems interesting but i don't know where to buy potassium chloride. i would appreciate any suggestions.

I also think the corner removal is very interesting, however I don't know where to buy the fresh cleandine, the potassium chloride is available at supermarkets as a commerical salt substitute.

Although I am skeptical about this precedure I do appreciate you sharing that information with us Heidi. However, you left out an important aspect of the corn removal process. I would like to know how long did this process take to actually remove the corn? How many times did you have to create this mixture to completely remove the corn?

I had 3 corns removed on March 16, 2007. Two were located on my ring toe, one on the middle toe but on the left side. I had the surgery on Friday, March 16th and returned back to work on Tuesday, March 20th. The first day, my doctor told me "Do not walk at all" I was instructed to keep the foot elevated w/ice. The first two days your hardly feel a thing because of the Novocain in your foot. I would make sure to take your choice of pain relief the day of or after your surgery. During bathing, you cannot get your foot wet, so I took baths and put a plastic baggie on my foot with a rubber band. I do believe they sell something for situations like this though. My Doctor prescribed me with a non-narcotic pain killer but I hardly took it. I found that ibuprofen/Advil alleviated the pain. I had the stitches removed the week of March 26th (I can't remember exact date). It's a little scary when you see your toes unwrapped for the first time. I had a line of stitches down my ring toe as well as the side, with severe bruising. I wore the post surgical boot from 3/16 until April 6th. At this point, your Doctor should provide you with the self adhering wrap and you can now wrap your toes/foot yourself. Your toe(s) will feel a little funny because you haven't moved them in a while. I do not suggest sleeping with the wrap on your foot once you're at the point of wrapping it yourself. I slept with it and woke up during the night with my toes throbbing and also woke up with my toes a bit swollen. (The doctor did make the surgery seem less painful then what it was - but I think in my opinion - I've experienced that tale more then once.) I have now been in a wide sneaker since April 6 the. I have to keep my toes wrapped as well as the top part of my foot. I still have minor bruising but the black mark from the stitches is finally starting to go away. Today I tried to go without my toes/foot wrapped and I am in pain. I notice that I have more pain when it rains, and it's been raining for 3 days straight now. My foot is also sore because of the way I am walking. Obviously I am not walking on my toes, but more on the heel. I work in NYC, so I do walk to and from the train as well as when I am at work. I had my bunion removed about 6 years ago and although it was a while ago, I remember the healing process to be a bit easier. I did however drive to and from work during that time. That may have helped my recovery a bit. I think everyone is different in regards to recovery time. I had a bunion removed and went dancing one month later. Now, I'm still putting ice on my foot a month later after getting 3 little corns removed.

I hope to be in my sexy heels soon!! I'm tired of these sneakers!!

Good Luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!!

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

So what exactly did you have done? Were the bones in your toes shaved down?

I am very interested in getting a corn removed from both feet. It is also on my ring toe. It is so unnerving to see it everytime you are bared foot. I never want to wear sandals and in the summer time that can be a problem. My question is after surgical corn removal are you able to still bend your toe? Also, will it look as if you never had surgery or would there be a scar or darkness in that area?

how long does a corn take to heal?

Were your corns completely removed? ...Meaning did your "regular" skin grow over the spot where corn used to be ?

omg i have the ugliest feet! i cant have a corn on my foot next to my big foot on my right foot and left foot
i feel horrible when i take my socks off
i'm so self-conscious when i'm around other people that i NEVER go barefoot
i've been looking for answers for so long to get them removed but it seems like nothing will help!
i can't wear sandals in the summer and i HATE it
there's gotta be an answer somewhere....

I feel your pain, I've had corns since high school, and they will not go away. Now, I have them on almost every toe! I never were sandals! There has to be something that can be done!!!

Ive had corns since I can remember and im only 25. Gosh Im looking to get surgery because I am too embarrssed about my feet. Can anyone give the Pros and Cons of post surgery?

oh hell sorry to hear you have the nightmare, i have had these terrible things on my feet for around 30 years i have seen every doctor in the book and had every opperation done including having them medically removed 4 times which was a waste of time and a lot of pain, since that time i have had them scraped, frozen, lazared, DO NOT HAVE THEM SURGICLY REMOVED it cannot be done the doctors will say yes i can remove that but when you wake up and look you will still see the core as i did and have to have your foot packed with 1 meter of gause pending on how big they are and how much of your foot the doctor will remove, i crawled around like a dog, for nothing, the best treatment i have found will help it feel better but wont remove it see a podiatrist and have the scraped down so you cant feel them, sorry about the bad news but its true and please trust what i am saying its from experiance

**edited by moderator**