I have suffered from corns on both feet for around 5 years. Every 6 weeks I visit a chiropodist but they start being painful again after only a couple of weeks. They appear on the balls of my feet and the side near my little toe (but actually on the foot not toe). I can't dress up to go out as I can't wear nice shoes and now my toes are bent funny from trying to avoid putting pressure on them so I walk strange and it is so frustrating and painful. My job as a barmaid and waitress doesnt help matters but I came accustomed to the pain and learnt how to waddle! Now I have had enough and want them gone for good! Please can someone give me advise on the surgery side, i.e cost, availability, time needed off work etc and does it really work? I know the roots are very deep so my chiropodist can only cut them out so far so the root is still there. My feet are making me miserable! Please can someone help!?![/list]

I did the surgery a few years ago and While post surgery effects area bit painful it is definitely worth it. After surgery i was taking some vicoding but pain lasted only a few days. I did, however, had to spend about 20days on crutches. I do have to say my reason for surgery wasnt due to problems with walking rather aesthetic..I wasn't happy with my feet looked and so I just paid a private surgeon to complete the surgery. I did it over 8years ago and at the time it cost me $450 per toe and I did it for three of my toes. It appears that your problem goes beyond aesthetics so I do recommend trying to speak to your regular doctor and have your insurance cover it. I did it for another hammerto that appeared on my other foot a couple of years later and all I paid was $100 procedure copAy if you do go through your insurance process will be much longer since your regular doctor will have to approve and send you to a specialist for surgery. Benefits are that you can have all of them done at the same time copayment. If you are not rushing and want to save yourself some money, I suggest doing it that way. I wish I knew my insurance could cover before going through a private practice since cost is significantly lower and the doctor that treated me the second time was even better than first...incision is hardly noticeable. All 'in all if you are in pain or simply on how your feet look, I do recommend doing the surgery.