I am 25 years old and I just found out that I have hammertoes. I didn't know what it was when I was in High School. I thought it was a corns and put corn removers on my second toe on each foot and it left dark marks. When I recently went to the doctor he told me that I would have to have surgery. My surgery is set for next month. I was wondering if anyone that had hammertoe surgery and had any scars that was permanent? did the surgery make your toes look better? how long did it take for you to go back to work if your job require you to do alot of walking? Also I have corns of the 5th toe on each foot. Can anyone tell me what did they do to remove these ugly creatures. My doctor told me that I shouldn't have surgery to remove my corns! Please any help at all will help I have surgery in two weeks! :-( :$ :'(

I honey! DON'T worry! I had 4 hammer toes and they were all done at the same time! They are the best looking toes out of ALL of them! When they take off the bone or totally take out the joint! Then insert pins into them and these stay in till the bone has healed! Then they remove them - just by sliding them out! You will NOT be walking for awhile, and will nbeed to raise your feet or foot!

The only way to remove corns is by 1st not wearing impeeding shoes - such as high heels! Then putting Salcylic acid on them! Which some people do by grinding down 2 asprin and making it a paste with Castor Oil! Put the paste on the corns by dabbing a cottonwool ball into the mixture and then putting it on the corn and then wrapping it with surgical tape and putting socks on and leaving it over night! IT should work in about a week! Also keep the area softened and use a light pumice on it to remove the dead skin!

You will be fine and ALL better by the time Sandal Season is here and be SO happy you did it! Elevation is key though OK? Good luck and health!

Thank you so much lol I feel relieved alittle. As far a the salcylic acid i got some from avon do i just put it on the affected area and thats it or do i have have to do anything else when I put it on?

Give it a try! I think that is more of a concoction though isn't it? The asprin is PURE Salcylic Acid! So upto you, also Castor Oil is also an exfolliant! So either way! Just keep them pumiced and moisturized OK?

Ok thank you I'm going to try the asprin and castor oil!

Well I just had my surgery done on Tuesday the 2nd and I am feeling good. The only problem is bordem lol and the medication makes me alittle nausea lol. My feet dont hurt like I thought they would. I find myself rolling around in my computer chair to get back and forth to the bathroom lol. I go back to the doctor on Tuesday. I haven't been on my feet without my crazy-looking shoe that makes me walk like a robot. But everything is good I'm just ready to walk on my feet again. But I am doing everything like icing my ankles every 30 mins on the hour and elevating my feet so now after the dressing is removed I'm going to focus on my corns thanks for the advise bambi27. I will keep you updated. Hopefully my feet will look good for sandle season! :-D

That's great to hear! THANKYOU for letting me know! The worry is the worst part isn't it? But I swear after the swelling and that wonderful purple green yellow bruising has gone it will be WORTH it! Actually with the cast on, it might help your corns too! As it is moist and not impeding!

well im kinda back to normal! i can wear tennis shoes and nothing else for a while. my toes are still swollen but doesnt hard. im just wondering about how long it will take for the scars to disappear or be less noticable and is there anything i can do to speed up the healing lol.

Is there any leakage or bloody discharge etc? If not and it is well on its way to healing I will tell you the BEST thing EVER! It is called Bio-Oil! You can buy it in any drug store - it is usually in the moisturizer aisle. I have a cancer disorder and have had several surgeries on my face 3 of them were about 4 inches long - at first I was DEVESTATED! Then someone told me about the oil, and you can NOT tell that I have these scars! I SWEAR by this! It's a natural oil, so you just massage it in! I don't have too many scars on my feet - as you wear sandals in the summer and go barefoot etc, then have pedicures you can slough off more of the skin and it is hardier and thicker than the rest! Give it a try for about 4 - 6 weeks, and you will be shocked! PS I don't work for them!!!! LOL

i will go get some today lol but i dont have any leakage or bloody discharge. it is just swollen and dark. i really want to go to the beach for my b day in May and i dont want to go if my feet look the way it does now. but hopefully bio- oil will work. the doctor told me that i can know soak my feet so thats a good thing now to get that dead skin removed. again thank you and i will keep you posted.

IF you can get ahold of a foot massaging bath this is the BEST thing ever! The bubbles and jets actually help slough off the dead skin from the operation and it is REALLY gentle! Also GREAT feeling! My son has surgeries ALL the time on his feet - when he gets his casts off this is HEAVEN for him! So see if you can get one, also use Epsom salts they soften your skin, and draw out impurtities! To get rid of the blood - old blood as in bruises etc, then go back and forth between COLD and then warm, massage, air drying the feet - sit infront of a window and let them get some sun! You will be find by May! I had my surgery in April, then I went to Europe in July and a wedding in June and I was fine! I was/am a MAJOR hippy! so I always wore Jesus Sandals! Still do for crying out loud!!!! LOL ;-) XD So give it a try ok?!

OK THANKS I ACTUALLY DO HAVE ONE BECAUSE I WAS SO EMBRASSED TO GO TO THE NAIL SALON TO GET MY FEET DONE SO I GOT MYSELF ONE LOL SO ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU AND I ALSO HAVE SOME EPSOM SALT SO GOOD FOR ME! I USED THAT BIO OIL YESTERDAY AND I LIKE IT.