Good evening.

I regularly shave my labia (mons to perineum) with a dry, battery operated razor, and will usually experience some irritation that I treat with lotion and baby powder. About three weeks ago, I shaved, and experienced the usual irritation, as well as a few raw spots (not exactly nicks, but irritated, open areas that didn't bleed) that I treated with powder and lotion. A few days later, I noticed that some of the rawness and itching in one spot near my clitoris wasn't going away. I ignored it for a while, treating it as usual. The itching was intermittent, and didn't last very long.

On 2/1, I shaved again, which allieviated the itching problem, but as the hair started growing back, it returned. This past Wednesday, I noticed that the left side of my clitoris was slightly swollen, and the swelling seemed to line up with the pattern of hair regrowth. I applied Neosporine, and some gauze to the area to separate it from the hair. No change in size or situation on Thursday, but there was some mild itching.On Friday (2/6), I rubbed/scratched the area vigorously, resulting in a very swollen clitoris that had some raw spots on it. I applied ice to the area, and took an Advil, which brought some of the swelling down, but it swelled again later that evening after applying some Gold Bond powder to stop the itching. I've taken another Advil, applied Neosporine to any raw spots, iced, and put a cool compress on the area, but the swelling has only subsided a little.

I am currently on my period (day 3) and wearing pads which are aggravating the swelling, but I'm not comfortable using tampons. I notice intermittent itching that I will NOT be scratching, but it's only localized to the surrounding areas of the clitoris (not the vagina, lips, anus, etc).

I am in a committed relationship, and have not had any other partners since 2012. I was tested for HIV, syphilis, gonorhea, chlamydia, and herpes in late 2013, all of which came back negative. My partner has been tested, but I will clarify for what and when. We are currently sexually active (oral sex, digital sex, and skin-to-skin contact without intercourse).I'm not noticing any fever, malaise, weakness, discharge, bumps, or odd odors around my vagina or the area that's itching. There are some bumps and raw spots around where the hair is growing back in. I have the unfortunate habit of sometimes washing or wiping to vigorously, leading to irritation, but nothing of this magnitude has ever happened before. Is it possible that this is all hair regrowth and irritation related? I'm not sure what's going on, and am starting to get scared. Any help is appreciated.

I should also ad that I'm not experiencing any form of pain, other than discomfort when the raw areas are rubbed.

I would suggest putting hydrocortisone cream on the raw/itchy spots. Can't hurt and it usually fixes the sore spots for me even my hemmers.

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to the ER on Saturday and they said that I have a skin infection, most likely caused from bacteria creeping into the raw patches. I've been given Bactrim, and have to say that the swelling has decreased a lot after taking 4 pills (out of 14, all will be taken!). I'm a little sore, but no longer itchy.

Glad you got it taken care of.