My eyelid just started swelling up today. I am guessing that the cause is when my lady friend accidentally dropped a small piece of plastic into my eye (from my dog's chewtoy). I rinsed it out several times. The next day or two it was slightly painful, nothing unbearable. This morning it was swollen on the side the plastic had been dropped into. Should I go to a doctor to get something to treat it immediately, or should I try visine for a day or two first?

well

It could be a Sty (stye)
It could be an ingrown eyelash
It could be bacteria that has caused the pore to clog up and oil build up within
It could be a Chalazion.

Google Sty or Chalazion for more info.

If you use oily eye makeup remover, it's probably a closed pore with oil building up and can not get out. Be sure next time after you use the make up remover to use a soap and warm water so it doesnt clog another pore.

The BEST way to know for sure what it is, would be to see an OPTHAMOLOGIST (they are the ONLY ones that can do surgery, except for a plastic surgeon....do NOT waste time or money going to an optometrist or a regular doctor.

Tobrex can be applied and may help. But in many cases surgery is necessary, although you could have it re-occur so you really need to be careful about washing your eyelids more carefully OR if you sweat alot to wash well as soon as you can. Keep dirty fingers off your eye lids. Wash your hands often with anti bacterial soap.