I have been sick for the last week with a severe respiratory infection and, during that time, I noticed some vaginal tenderness when I was using the restroom. Being that it was close to time for my period, I was thinking that the tenderness was due to that but today I noticed that the tender area was now a hard nodule and was slightly itchy.

I'm just wondering if this could be a swollen lymph node, and it is safe to wait a while and see if it clears up or if I need to get to a doctor.

Hi there! Lymph nodes are placed in your groin area, not in your vagina. The main lump in the vagina is the cervix (neck of the womb). This projects into the far end of the vagina and is about 3 cm across. You can usually feel the cervix by inserting the first two fingers into the vagina and pushing upwards. You should probably see a doctor about this.

This is exactly what is going on with me! What happened?