Married 23y.o. white male here, athletic, in good general health. 6'3 250lbs

At the beginning of August, about 4 1/2 months ago i had a pain in my left neck shoulder area i noticed when i would raise my arm. After feeling around I felt what turned out to be an enlarged lymph node in my left lower neck. Everything on line of course pointed me to cancer for that specific node. However, I did have a bad head cold a few days after I noticed it with bad pflem and stuff.

After getting back from vacation, 2 weeks later it was still there so went to the doctor. They said it felt normal, but did a chest xray, and this came back normal. They then prescribed me antibiotics for 2 weeks and came back and node was still there. So the doctor went ahead and scheduled an appointment for me to see an internal medicine specialist.

At this point a month and a half had gone by, Still felt the same, but had noticed another node directly below the one on my lower left neck, and another swollen node in the same general place as these two on the right side. At the specialist, she did a ultrasound/sonagram? on the nodes and measured them at a little less than a cm and told me that i should take another 2 months before coming back and they look benign.

2 months went by, I have noticed that there are small pea sized nodes swollen on each side below my ears are a little tender. But i dont know if these have just gotten larger or are the same size.

I do have anxiety which makes me nervous and a grandfather that passed away from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years ago.

Last, I went back into the doctor when it would have been over 2 months. I didnt know if i should go back to the specialist, so i went to my general practicioner at school health center. She felt my nodes, and said they all still felt no bigger than 1 cm on my neck and the ones by my ears are just very small pea sized.

I have had no other "main" symptoms: no night sweats, no weight loss, no bad fatigue

I guess my question is, thoughts? Should I still be worried? Should I go to another doctor?

Any advice or comments would be helpful

hey man,

if i were you i would just continue to keep an eye on them and go back to the specialist in anothe month or two unless things change. (you notice an increase in size, get night sweats more pain fever ext.) its improtant to keep an eye on things but not worry yourself sick....

keep us updated and let us know if there is anything else we can do

Thanks for your reply, I also wanted to throw in that they are still tender from time to time. and none of them are hard or fixed.

thats good... they may be tender because you keep messing with them.... also they may have swelled due to a viral infection you could have contracted... do they get worse when you are stressed out?? do you ever get a fever with them??

take care

Yes, i do tend to notice they get worse on low sleep and when I am stressed out. I am a graduate student so stress is an every day thing. No fever at all, I am consistently normal. Could this be playing a roll in it?

I did have some blood work done at the near the beginning of this to test mono, thyroid, liver, etc. but dont know if they ran a blood count. All tests that they did came back normal.

My biggest thing is how I can feel completely healthy outside of these lymph nodes, and that makes me feel like maybe they are just palpable nodes? I have read about that in a few places. I mean I never noticed them before this whole thing started, but i never really checked either.

I appreciate your help man.

hey man,

being a biology major, i know what stress is all about. thank God i just finished finals!! :-D you know they most likly are just papalpable nodes and i believe it is normal for them to be a little tender when palpated (nothing too severe though). The reason i asked about stress is because stress affects Tons of different things in your body as well as lowerining your immune system. i figured if you did have some virus which got into your limph nodes it may just lay dorment until you get under stress then flare up again and become active. A classic virus which does this is the herpes simplex virus. when one has a cold sore on the outside of their lip it eventually goes away but the body doesnt total get rid of the herpes virus.... instead the virus just lays low and goes into hidding until your body experiences some type of stress (school, FINALS, another illness exc) then bam it re-emerges again. by the way did they take blood when you first went in to check them out?? is that when you said it came back normal? also you dont know the white blood cell (WBC) count or the WBC differential values?

Lke i said earlier it is probably nothing more thatn a palpable node. normally pea sized are normal its when they get like quarters and golf balls that you need to be concerned.

Hope this helps.... good luck with school