I have at least two relatives who mentioned taking a bath using bleach! I look at them puzzled, wondering if they were both insane! Is this a common practice? If so, is it a safe and effective way to rid yourself of unwanted germs while beautifying your skin?

It could be safe, because all safety experimentation have conducted before they are out.

Hi there,
To be honest with you I was amazed by your question as you were when your relatives told you about this. But I did some reading and I found out that bleach bath is very helpful treatment for children who have skin problems like MRSA or eczema. However you shouldn’t do this without consulting your doctor first, some children might not tolerate the bleach bath.
The thing is that you just pour half of the cup with bleach and half full bath tub and give your child a bath, or yourself. However if you notice any complications on the skin you should visit dermatologist. And don’t put too much bleach in your bath.
I hope this helped a bit.