Ok for the first time I'm clueless!! I'm a single father to a beautiful 14yo daughter. Her mother sadly passed when she was 4 and I've raised her alone since then. From word one I've always told her she can talk to me about anything. And she always has. We've had all the awkward talks about masturbation, sex, drugs, alcohol, puberty and so on. Now she's asked me for something and I'm stumped!! She's asked if I'll buy her a vibrator/dildo.... Yeah that's right!! She told me she's a Virgin but like all teen girls she's curious about sex and the feel of sex. She's also told me she doesn't want to have sex with anyone yet as she's not ready. But she wants to explore using a sex toy. I'm fine with that..... But is it really appropriate for a father to buy his teen daughter something like that?? Obviously I wouldn't take her shopping for one!! But was considering letting her order one online. Any advice would be great specifically from a woman as I imagine this would be something she'd have discussed with her mother. Thanks a lot.

Hi there

First thing first, kudos on raising a daughter single handed - it is a task meant for the brave. Having said that I must also remind you that once she uses a Dildo, she won't be a virgin anymore - just in case she inserts it in her Vagina.

It is quite natural to be curious about sex and feelings it might hold. There are other ways to pleasure - as in masturbation with a water jet running over private area.

Before you let her buy a dildo, be straightforward on just what lies ahead - loss of virginity. There maybe a case of overindulgence and she maynot be able to have pleasure from real penetrative sex. But, not a bad idea about demanding a dildo

Hi, thanks for the info. I never thought of those facts. I really don't know what to do now. I'll take the info you've given and talk to her about it and see what she says. Thank you very much

If I may notice, you have really opened a relationship with your daughter. If I were you, I would be really uncomfortable in this case.  I do know that children masturbation is something that is perfectly normal, but this is something that you should talk to her and tell her that you are OK with it but that this is something that she needs to think about alone. I know that someone will tell you that you have an amazing relationship with your daughter, but I think that it would be easier to talk to your son if you had it, for example.

too the with a 14 year old daughter As I am a older girl IDD say late her get the thing she is asking for .. for if you don't she just my end up doing something bad .. you are smart by asking for HELP ..late her show you what she want's you to order on the toy line ..then late her do her on EPLORING of her on body ...BUT in her on time and her on place ..AND PLEASE don't ask her if she has started doing it .. late her come to you when she wants to don't rush her ...

As an old father I want to say my hat's off to you. It sounds like you two have a great relationship. I feel the appropriateness of it really depends on your understanding of her mindset. To me the virgin aspect is an individual thing. Maybe she doesn't even want to insert it but destroying a hymen with a dildo hardly constitutes having sex which to me is the loss of virginity. I'm sure other people feel that the destruction of the hymen in any way means loss of virginity. I was a teen in the 50s and virginity was certainly a big topic back then. I never expected any girl I dated or eventually married was required to be a virgin. In fact I didn't feel her previous sex life was any of my business, only that she was with me now. But those things are definitely something for you to discuss with her before she gets one as the guy she eventually meets will have his own opinion about what constitutes virginity. As long as she is aware of those aspects I see no reason not to get her what she wants. If she wants to experiment/practice to discover what she likes best I'm all for it. I think she will make a wonderful lover for her man if he is up to being her equal.

About the mother thing: personally I would feel more comfortable discussing things with a daughter and answering her questions than with a son. But I feel my wife's mother did more to destroy our sex life together than anything. Of course I don't know if her father would have been any better.

I respectfully disagree. You must have a penis in your vagina to lose you virginity. If anything you put in your vagina makes you lose your virginity won't tampons make people lose their virginity? Young girls use tampons and their virginity is still intact