I made the unbelievably stupid mistake of having exclusively unprotected oral sex with a guy I was dating last semester. I did it maybe 10 times in total (and that's probably overestimating it). He never came in my mouth; there was only some pre-ejaculate. I've been told that my risk for HIV is virtually non-existent, but I'm still paranoid because this guy came down with a mono-like illness (though he never got tested) while we were dating. 

Is it true that it is much more difficult for a man to get HIV from a woman than vice versa? So, let's take this guy I'm dating: he's a college guy, he's been with 10 girls before me (3 of which were in high school, longer term girlfriends). I'm not entirely sure how long he was with the other girls, but let's just assume a large majority of them were likely one-night stands. I know he would use a condom unless he was sure the girl was on some form of birth control. 

Plus, with the number of people living with/diagnosed with HIV in the US sitting at around 1.2 million, according to the CDC, the likelihood of any of these college girls having HIV and therefore passing it on to this guy is probably pretty slim, correct? The only reason I'm concerned is -- like I said in my previous post -- this guy came down with what I believe was mono about halfway through our relationship, but he never got tested. i don't remember if he had a fever or a rash; all I know was he was incredibly tired. 

Pretty soon after my last possible exposure to HIV (May 23), I developed a mild sore throat; I was diagnosed with strep on June 22, though my doctor never did a culture to confirm -- he merely looked at my throat and said I had strep (I had it before, but my sore throat was much more severe). Nevertheless, I took penicillin for 7 days and the white patches on my tonsils went down, though my symptoms returned a few days later and I was subsequently put on 7 more days of antibiotics. Since then, I've had a very slightly red, slightly irritated throat, and my doctor seems to think it could be environmental. I've also had a slightly congested nose and probably a little post-nasal drip, so I'm sure that's not helping my situation either. Finally, I have an abscess tooth that happened to show up right as my strep throat started, and I'll be getting a root canal this week. I'm sure that still has no bearing on the whole possible HIV exposure, correct? 

But, let's face the facts: If I didn't actually have strep (or a bacterial infection), there's no way the white patches would have just disappeared from my throat, right? I know antibiotics do not treat viral infections, so it must be the case that I had strep. Secondly, I did get treated for a yeast infection last week (1 Diflucan pill), but I'm still having a tiny bit of discomfort. I don't have any itching, but there is very slight vaginal burning on and off. Finally, I haven't gained weight. I haven't lost any weight, either, but I haven't gained any weight even after sitting a lot following emergency ankle surgery on 7/27. I am naturally pretty skinny, though (and I do have hyperthyroidism, but that's under control). However, if this was in any way related to HIV, wouldn't my symptoms already have come and gone? 

Like I said, I'm sure the likelihood that this guy even has HIV is pretty slim to none to begin with, and as multiple people have said, exclusive oral sex as I've described does not pose an HIV concern. Still, there is a tiny part of me that is absolutely terrified that I will be diagnosed with HIV when I go see my OB/GYN for my annual checkup next week. Do I honestly not have a reason to worry? I'm really trying hard not to be paranoid, but that's a little difficult after the guy joked "Maybe he had AIDS" when he was sick with that mono-type illness. I know it's a terrible joke and obviously he was kidding, but my anxiety is just through the roof because of this (and because of the fact that I seemingly still have symptoms). Although I'm sure my anxiety is still doing me no favors as far as my symptoms are concerned, either. 

Again, thank you all for your replies. I am absolutely terrified to ask for a test next week, but I know I'll do it -- I just want some reassurance that it will be negative.

Hey! Are you in university? Sounds like it because you were referring to semesters. Or maybe high school. Either way, it's prime time for strep/mono/everything else! I felt like I had nonstop strep and everything while I was living in a dorm, and hey, mono is known to be passed among young people living in close quarters like a dorm, or in high school when you share things. Especially when you throw sex (oral or otherwise) into the mix, it's like pathogen heaven. However, I have to agree with you that your chance (and the guy's chance) of having HIV/AIDS is very, very low. The USA has a pretty low percentage overall for HIV/AIDS, and even that is very very dependent on the population and area. Obviously if the guy you were with has a history of intravenous drug use or has even been with prostitutes in a state other than Nevada (where they are regulated), you have a lot more to worry about, but going out on a limb here I'm going to guess that he hasn't. That already eliminates even more chance of having it. Besides having had a terrible blood-transfusion mishap or some really really small statistical loophole, he didn't have it, and you don't.
As far as the symptoms go, like I said... high school and college are prime time for strep, mono, and everything else (still assuming you're in school, I hope I'm right). If he had a 'mono-like' illness, seriously it could have been anything, and he could have gotten it anywhere. If he got over it without being hospitalized, his immune system wasn't compromised. Same to your ailments. Stress can slow down recovery time and strep especially can take ages to get better, but if your body takes care of it (even with antibiotic help) your immune system is still working. Again, infections and germs are flying left and right in classrooms and dorms and hallways (gosh I hope you're a student or I'll sound stupid) so with all that barrage of pathogens plus stress your body is working hard to stay well, and like mine did, has a hard time sometimes.
The other thing to consider is that HIV and AIDS are not the same thing, and if you did indeed expose yourself the HIV it is unlikely that you would have developed AIDS that quickly. The virus, once in your body, almost always stays dormant for a pretty long time. I'm sure that isn't 100% of cases, but it's something to consider. Usually, AIDS (ie a suppressed immune system and the symptons you were worrying about) doesn't develop until quite a long time after exposure to/ acquisition of the virus.
(Also, like you mentioned, it IS a lot harder for a man to get HIV from a woman but that applies only to vaginal intercourse, for obvious fluid-interchange reasons. But even for a woman getting it from a man, it can take several full encounters for her to get HIV. I'm not sure about oral sex, but it seems like it would be about equal chance of getting it from man/woman and woman/man.)
Basically, statistically it is super-duper unlikely you have to worry about HIV/AIDS. Symptom-wise it is super-duper unlikely (imho) that you have to worry about it. BUT I understand the anxiety, so why not get a test? They're not a big deal and most clinics will do them for free or ultra cheap. And imagine the relief. I bet lots of your illness will get better!
I hope this helps. I am fresh out of university and while studying abroad in a sub-Saharan African country I had unprotected sex with a guy I knew through my host-brother. Yeah, not my brightest moment, and I was REALLY panicking over HIV due to the context. Then I remembered my host country's percentage of HIV/AIDS was the same as the USA's, and I felt guilty for expecting it to be worse, and also I was reassured the dude was not a manwhore, and then I got a free test and of course it was negative. So really... I do understand the anxiety!! :)

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I am a college student, but I wasn't in school at the time I got strep (although I did have an internship, but I don't remember anyone being sick at the time -- and no one has come down with strep since).

I know my chances of getting HIV are incredibly low, I'm just paranoid now because I feel like I may be getting my yeast infection back (which I treated last week with Diflucan). As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not having any kind of itchiness, but a tiny bit of vaginal burning sometimes. I'm sure it's my anxiety (or maybe the end of my period, as that ended yesterday?), but I'm still freaking out about it.

Again, I think the odds of the guy having HIV, in spite of his sexual history, is pretty rare. I mean, we go to college in a relatively small town in Massachusetts -- not exactly a hotbed of illicit activity. And no, he's never shared needles, had a blood transfusion, or anything like that.

I feel like I'm having the same problem. I started dating this boy 2 months ago and I formed an

I feel like I'm having the same problem. I started dating this boy 2 months ago and I formed an abcsess around then. It's not painful though and I still have it. And on Monday I found white patches on my right tonsil but I am not insured so my mother and sister said it's strep and my sister had leftover augmentin that I'm taking. My throat isn't extremely painful, only after I wake up or talk alot. Then after having sex last night he told me he had a genital warts scare 2 years ago and he thought he told me about it. I have been panicking all day because I'm terrified at the thought of having an STD or STI or being pregnant.

Here's an idea for you. Firstly, go and get tested....for everything. I mean bloods, swabs, the lot. Once you've got the all-clear (even if it means waiting for meds to clear something up) then do one of the following; *Stay away from men *If you can't keep to the first step....MAKE SURE HE PUTS SOMETHING ON IT!!!!! Its really easy to prevent these situations by picking up readily available contraception and using it.