I had surgery for a Morton's Neuroma on July 31. I first noticed the problem the end of October 2007. I woke up that Monday morning with a knot under the ball of my foot. To try and make a long story short, after putting up with it for so long, I went to one doctor and had an ultra sound and then had it drained. He said it was a fluid filled sac that had gotten infected. Months later I found another doctor, because our insurance changed at work, and he had me go for an MRI and later I got and injection with some stuff to hopefully dissolve it. Well, none of that worked so he told me I have two more options. One-get alcohol injections every week for ten weeks or Two-just have the surgery and get rid of it (more or less).

They did the incision on the top of my right foot between 3rd and 4th toes(the one next to the pinkie toe). I tell you what!....I have had nothing but trouble since. For the first few days I had my foot up about level with my heart and when I got up, OMG my foot felt like it was going to explode! It hurt SOOO bad. It felt like there was lightening going right through my toes...stinging, burning and just down right painful!

After the nurse changed the bandage the first time, there was a little bruising in the arch of my foot. The ball of my foot was really swollen and hard to the touch. A week and a half later I noticed more and worse bruising on the ball of my foot, the arch and also the left side of my heel. And the lightening was still striking more than ever!!

On Wednesday, the 19th of August, I went back to work for just a few hours. I was still on crutches and could not even put any weight on the ball of my foot. I could put a little weight on my heel but not for long. I worked 4 hrs Wed., and my foot swelled up like a balloon! And the pain just worsened because of the swelling on top of the pain I had already and the incision looks like it's just not healing. I went ahead and tried to work another 4 hours Thursday and One and half hours Friday. Somebody had to come get me because I couldn't drive yet. I had my appointment with the doctor that day and he told me he had never seen this kind of bruising, swelling and problems as a result of this type of surgery. He put me on some steroids, gave me a tight tube sock and a boot to wear and I go back to see him on September 4.

Last Thursday, the 20th, I was able to not wear the boot and sock and finally got my flip flop on. And until that day, I was still having to use the crutches. Now, swelling is under control and I can walk on my heal only (very slowly) but it feels like instead of one neuroma in my foot, there's three large marbles! The incision is still dark like it's still not healing and the lightening strikes still happen when I move my toes wrong.

I wish everybody the best and I'll keep updating as time goes by.

Hi Shirley, I'm not sure if you posted the same thread twice but I thought I'd just post and see how you're doing. Please let me know how you've been doing. I appreciate being able to read how you're doing okay? Thanks!

I had the neuroma removal and a bunionectomy done 6 days ago. The ball of my foot is still quite swollen. My next appt is in 4 days to change bandages and remove stitches. I go back to work tomorrow (crutches and a ride). I don't know if I should still be having the swellling still, esp since I had both procedures done.

Hello, it's me again. Well, it's been 8 weeks yesterday since my surgery. My appointment was 9/29/09 and the doctor still doesn't really know why I have the pain, "marbles in my foot", and mainly....swelling! If I look back at last week or last month, yes there is a little improvement, but the point of my healing now at 8 weeks is more like it should be at 3 weeks, and that's a quote from the doctor. The appointment before this last one he said that the lumpbs could be like a blood build up that has hardened and my body should absorb it over time. But a few days ago he's leaning more to where it might be scar tissue. He is talking about another MRI and possibly surgery in the future only if it doesn't continue to heal properly. I had to buy new shoes in wide but at least I can now wear my tennis shoes. At first, a couple of weeks ago I wore them the first half of my work day and at lunch I had to change back into my flip flops. Now, I can wear my tennis shoes all day(mainly because it's getting colder) but boy by the end of the day my foot and "those two toes" are really bothering me. I still have a good limp because of the pain from the "marbles" in the ball of foot.

To answer your question "healthnfitnessguy", yes I did posted my first entry twice because at first I didn't know what all to do and I posted it in the wrong place. What I did at first was google "Recovery after Mortons Neuroma Surgery" and I wanted to join the conversation there, but when I joined "SteadyHealth"websight, I couldn't find the one I originally found. Well, now I know what to do so I'll probably join the other "group" too. And thank you for being concerned and carring.

Now, hello "guest". I wish you luck on your recovery. From what the doctor told my about the swelling is that there should not be that much swelling! I still have swelling to this day. Like I said, my appointment was just a few days ago and he is still "dumbfounded" about why I'm not healed like he thinks I should be. I hope your recovery is a speedy one!

December 18- 2012

I had neuroma foot surgery exactly 3 weeks ago! Best decision. size was 6cm by 2cm. and they also took out a angio lipoma tumor(benign) that was sitting directly on top of the neuroma. Needless to say my foot was getting a bit over crowded in there. Intense pain and swelling first 3 days..elevated and iced non stop. post op boot up until 2 weeks after surgery.Doc says only can wear slipper (no shoes) for next couple of weeks. Stitches out 2 weeks post op. Im getting around wonderfully. Bit slow trying to get foot back to normal.The pain I was having before surgery is ALL gone. Huge difference. Relief is all I can say. Find a doctor that is familiar with this surgery and you won't be dissapointed.At 2 1/2 weeks I felt a "turn around" in my recovery. I want to add that I eat extremely healthy-mostly vegatarian and whole grains-no dairy and rarely meat. I feel that my diet and weight have helped my recovery go fast. I could not walk barefoot at all before surgery and now that's all I do 3 weeks post op. Do your research and you will be fine. I do not regret at all.

good luck.

I'm on week 8 of my surgery. The marble-like feeling on the ball of your foot is internal swelling. I had the same thing. Take some hand cream and massage it over the incision and on the ball of your foot every night and that helps. I don't think you should be wearing flip flops. You need a firm supportive shoe.

I had surgery to remove a Mortens Neuroma one month ago I still cannot go without pain killers or walk on it properly yet in fact have not left the house for the whole month, have not been sent an appointment to see surgeon either feeling very low, foot still swollen ball of foot mostly. I kept it raised for 14 days and as much as I can now also during day on lazy boy. Lots of pins and needles tried massage but it made it worse so feel best to leave alone now. Has anyone come across what helps and what doesn't ?
Joan