I will remain anonymous because of my profession. I am a 4th year resident of a pediatric urology clinic in south Texas and i have done extensive research on the taboo subject of the Prepuce, more commonly known as the foreskin. I have read many posts on this site and I am shocked at the lack of education on the subject and teens counseling teens on the functions of the foreskin and treatment of Phimosis and circumcision. I underwent circumcision when i was 17 years old because i was told that it was required in south Texas in order to become sexually active. it was the biggest mistake of my life. if you have any questions about the foreskin or anything related, please post it here and I will answer it as soon as I can. please do not listen to many of the posts that say your only option is circumcision. that is NOT the truth. I will provide as much information in a friendly, non judgmental way. No question is stupid or dumb.

I have to agree with you that there is a lot of misinformation being posted here, but that is typical of any internet forum. It's probably no more prolific than the misinformation you get about political candidates during voting season.

I do wonder why a 4th year resident would call discussions about the foreskin taboo. There was nothing taboo about foreskins where I grew up. Some of us had 'em, some didn't. In our masturbation get togethers the kids who had one were always surprised by the fact that the guys who were cut didn't go straight to the ceiling when we touched their glans and the have nots liked to move our foreskins up and down. There was no feeling of either condition being taboo.

There WAS a serious lack of information about their function, but that lack of information extended to everything sexual. After joining this forum I've been surprised to see that lack of information and the resulting misinformation does not appear to have diminished a whole lot. I thought the introduction of sex education in our schools would have helped a lot more than it appears. When I grew up in the 50s, our major sources of sex information were some other ignoramus who thought he knew everything and reading The Catcher In The Rye.

South Texas must be a much more up tight place than the Puritanical New England area where I grew up. How did they manage to enforce the circumcision before sex laws? How did they control a teenagers mind to be able to coerce him to get cut? When I was 17, I can assure you NOBODY was going to cut anything off my penis o.O

I'm sure it was the biggest mistake of your life and I am sorry you were coerced into it. For those who want to have it done there still seems to be very little information given to them before hand. The ones who have described the experience here, were never informed of the different styles of cuts available and the advantages/disadvantages of each. The doctors who do it seem to completely ignore the sensitivity of the suddenly bare glans as though it isn't going to be a problem at all. They seem to have all the sensitivity of the pediatricians who use duct tape as anesthesia while hacking off the skins of babies.

I hope you can get some good discussion going and at least help a few guys.

I have a few days away and now there's a pro-circ campaign going on?? Thought we had this under control njoy :-(

Just been booted off another forum for making 'anti-circ' comments, apparently it was against the house rules %-) Is that what its really like in America?

kingfreze, see what happens when you take a day off 8-|
Here we go again, eh?
If that's what someone want's to do, I don't have a problem with it but I hate to see young ones coerced into it for reasons that are bogus. I don't know if there really is a good medical reason for doing it. I can't think of what could be wrong that would require it. Every thing I can think of, could be handled without removing it. If the tip is tight and stretching doesn't work, why can't just the tight band on the tip be released surgically? If there are adhesions --- same thing?

For those who have been led to believe they need to have it done or those who want to have it done, I see most of them were not given any information about the different styles so they can make an informed choice. Of course some of that can be blamed on the owner of the penis for just thinking the doctor knows what's best and let him/her cut away. But there are also women who go for labiaplasty who do the same. I can't envision allowing anyone to cut away on me without me knowing ahead of time exactly what they were going to do. And if it's something I am getting done because I want to, I certainly want to know all the options.

I don't believe in doing it to babies. First, because they don't get to decide if they want it done and secondly their penis is too small to do it any way but the worst possible style. I feel really bad for guys who had it done as a baby and now have a penis with less feeling in it than my fingers. All they have is outer skin covering the shaft and the head has been desensitized so it has less feeling than a finger tip. Why? Because it's easier for the doctor or because it's easier to hold them down at that age?

I forgot to mention:

It's easy to get booted off these groups if the moderator doesn't agree with you. I'm on a Jeep list where one of the guys got booted for making a joke. Someone posted a rant and he asked, "Who lit the fuse on your tampon?"

B-O-O-T

He started another Jeep group on Yahoo with no rules, and a whole bunch of us who felt it was OK to have fun while discussing our Jeeps, joined him.

So don't let it bother you. :-D

Yeh if the stretching doesn't work there's a preputioplasty which will cure almost all tight foreskins. The stats I've found are that 90% of people having a medically related circumcision really don't need to be there. Buts yeh, of course if a guy wants a circumcision then by all means he's entitled to it.

Nah I'm not bothered about being booted, more about the poor kids that were being discussed. One woman said "I hate the look of the uncircumcised penis so I'll definitely get him circumcised". I think thats disgraceful, should never be allowed.

i'm glad to see well informed individuals in this discussion. the topic of circumcision is taboo in south Texas.. it is not discussed and just done. But now it seems people are becoming more curious and it has become a quiet discussion topic in secret meetings..lol.. i was a dumb kid and was told i needed to be cut and so i did.. not really a law or anything close.. but i was gullible.

Don't be so harsh on yourself its not gullible, you're supposed to be able to trust your doctor.

I was very close to getting myself booked in. The doctor suggested it to me for my phimosis but i did some research and got in contact with a charity and found it was unnecassary. Within about 8 months I was sorted and so glad I hadn't had it chopped. Being on here and reading some of the posts about an ultra sensitive glans after a circ, it was something I hadn't thought of and it must be awful.

There was a foreskin seminar I was thinking of going to last month but it cost £45 :o , I'm always interested in learning more so may go next time instead.

i don't know about ultra sensitive... but my glans is callused and not sensitive at all.. because of keritinization... just after the procedure it was extremely sensitive and painful but after 2-3 months it stopped.

Yeh, sorry I did mean straight after the cut. Getting tired 8-|

We had a topic on here a few weeks ago with several guys who had just been cut. They were having serious unexpected problems with the ultra sensitive glans. I don't know who to blame for that. The doctor for not mentioning it, or them for not realizing their super sensitive glans was going to suddenly be rubbing on everything all the time. After all they were both old enough to know it was sensitive and should have been smart enough to figure out it was going to be permanently exposed after having it's protective cover removed.

When I was born, circumcision was the norm around here but God was good to me. He gave me a mother who told the doc when he asked if he should do it: "NO, you're not cutting anything off my perfect little boy". Then I got lucky again, he told her she was going to have to retract it to clean under it during every bath, so I grew up with a foreskin that was always easily retractable.

There were no boys for me to play with in my neighborhood, but I had two girls my age. I was about 7 when they discovered my penis and the strange things it could do. They were particularly intrigued with my foreskin and how pushing it back revealed what was hidden under it. The fact that it did a shape shift when they did that to it was also quite interesting and they wanted to show all their visiting girl friends and cousins. I was smart enough to negotiate some touching of my own in exchange for letting them do that. So I guess I can say my foreskin has provided me with a whole lot of pleasure from a very early age. 8)

It is easy to overlook it to be fair, you have so many things going through your head at the time. Fear mainly :-( 8-|

What a childhood you had njoy XD No wonder you turned out how you did....... 8-|

Booted off, you say? Wow...that happened to me 15 or so years ago on a BIG NAME "parenting" website. Stunned at what I was reading, the vitriol hurled at me by (mostlty) "concerened and utterly convinced" mothers made me retch. My polite, but sincere - and medically , not to mention ETHICAL point of view on the wrongs of RIC (routine infant circumcision) made me upset and, well ... angry. I was summarily kicked off this stooopid and well known - hah - informational (?) website because of my logical stance against any sort of male circumcision (and, no, I never bothered to go near the "religious arguement", as none of my decryers did, either. Human stupidity prevails. And mommy and/ or daddy think they own a boyy's penis and its state of being. Needless to say: they were tyrrany and socio/medical brainwashing at its worst. I deplored the tyrrany of these ...boobs. I hope there sons come back tonhaunt them with the same vigor I did, and still do. Male circumcision is cruel, destructive, and just plain medical propaganda in its worst form. Live in your own hell, you DFKS.