Hi there, 

I'm 40 years old and had a total hip replacement May 3, 2012. 

My surgery was done at one of the best hospitals in Boston with a very progressive surgeon, I had hardly any restrictions and walked into my hospital room 4 hours after surgery.  All in all it's been a great decision.  And after all the time and effort I put into researching the surgery and my doctor is should have been so I'm surprised to see that some people on the board did not know about the leg length discrepancy. Most hip replacements almost always add a 1/2 inch to the leg which I was told immediately because I already had a discrepancy from a previous injury and did not want to add to it.  .  In fact, my surgeon had to finagle something to ensure that he didn't add any length at all and possibly shorten my leg to make me which he accomplished by giving me a smaller implant.

Since the surgery I have had very little pain (other than normal surgical) until about a month ago when I started having sharp pain in my mid thigh that radiates down into my knee.  This pain comes and goes but since the surgery there have only been a handful of days that it's been gone.  I've also noticed it's worse during bad weather.

When I went in for my 3 month check up I asked about the thigh pain and my Doctor knew immediately what it was...a load bearing issue where the stem implant meets the bone on the inside of my femur. 

Since the bone is still healing and not quite where it needs to be in thickness, walking on pavement, hard surfaces, without good support can aggrivate it and cause pain.  He said it was nothing to worry about, that it will go away in about 6 months to 1 year as the bone heals and thickens around the stem.  He said it was perfectly normal, that about 75% of female hip replacment patients experience this.  He also said that some may not experience until about 6 months out because that is when the bone starts to thicken at the point of the stem.  Anyway, I've discovered that he was right it does come and go but it has been lessening in intensity and when it gets bad I stay off it for an hour or so,  take motrin for the pain and it subsides.  I'm now 4 months out and have been riding a bike and walking 4 miles at a whack about 4 times a week.  I'm dancing and have been completely discharged from therapy.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you all.